Location: A position on the earths surface (Absolute or Relative) Places have absolute locations that pinpoint them on earth, and relative locations place each location in respect to other locations
- Somalias relative location is located next to Djibouti and the cost of the Indian Ocean
- The capital of Somalia is Mogadishu The exact location is 2.0469 degrees North, 45.3182 degrees East
Somalia is on the continent of Africa
Some interesting landforms include
- The highest point in the country is Shimbiris in the Cal Madow mountain range which sits at 7,926 ft
- The Jubba and Shabele both flow south towards Kismaayo then exits into the Indian Ocean, the lowest point in Somalia
Some facts about the climate
- Mean daily minimums usually vary from about 59 to 86 degrees Fahrenheit
- In Northen Somalia the temps surpass 113 degrees Fahrenheit in July
- In the highlands, the temperature drops below the freezing point in December
Most residents of Somalia are Muslims, the majority belonging to the Sunni branch of Islam and the Shafi'i school of Islamic jurisprudence, although some are adherents of the Shia Muslim denomination.
Some of the holidays include
- Independence Day June 26 marks National Independence Day for Somalia and more than two decades without Italian rule.
- Neeroosh Held annually in July, Neeroosh, or Dab-shid as it is alternatively known, celebrates the beginning of the solar year in Somalia
- Eid al-Fitr This religious holiday marks of the end of Ramadan – the holy month during which those of the Islamic faith fast.
- Eid al-Adha The holiday lasts for two or three days and is held to commemorate the willingness of Ibrahim to sacrifice his first born son to the Lord.
Jobs found in Somalia include
Some of the critically endangered species are
- African wild ass
- Somali golden mole
The African wild ass is endangered because of hunting and competition with livestock. The reason the Hirola is being endangered is unknown and the Golden mole is being endangered because of forest clearing and erosion.
Environmental problems that are occurring is severe drought, water scarcity, and waste disposal.
Distribution of food to those affected and crops that are more drought tolerant are being planted, to help drought. Also water is being brought in from an external source to help with water scarcity. Alternative options are being provided for the waste that's being disposed of in inappropriate areas
Region A region is defined by its uniform physical or human characteristics
Since schools are semi-financed by parents, educational opportunities are limited outside of urban areas. There are 4 years of primary, middle, and secondary education. The nine mandatory subjects are Somali, Islamic studies, geography, and history. There is also vocational educational training and tertiary education.
As of Sunday February 26, 2017, the current population of somalia is 11,281,943 and the population density is 17.5 people per square kilometer
The area of Somalia is 246,201 mi
The per capita GDP of Somalia as of march 1st, 2017 is 187.00
The life expectancy of males is 53.5 years, females is 56.6
37.8% of Somalias population is literate. Of that number 49.7% of the adult male population is literate, but only 25.8% of adult females
Somalias climate region principally desert; December to February - northeast monsoon, moderate temperatures in north and very hot in south; May to October - southwest monsoon, torrid in the north and hot in the south, irregular rainfall, hot and humid periods (tangambili) between monsoons
Geographic theme of movement the travel of people, goods, and ideas from one place to another
Somalias exports include
In may 1960 British colonial secretary announced that Britain was granting independence to Somaliland so that it can unite with Italian somaliland (Somalia)
Telecommunications, internet, radio, print and television is the technology used in Somalia
Trains and buses common forms of transportation, also motor bikes are popular forms of transportation
News in Somalia
A week after his inauguration, President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo declared a state of disaster in his drought-stricken country of Somalia, where the lives of 6.2 million people are now at risk.
57 members of the al-Shabab extremist group were killed Thursday as African Union and Somali forces attacked one of its camps, the AU peacekeeping mission in Somalia announced. It was one of the deadliest assaults on the al-Qaida-linked group by the joint forces.
Traveling to the country once was considered a destination for tourists, but now there are advisorys for Americans to not go to Somalia as of January 2017
Children can attend one of 722 classrooms set up throughout the country. A child can go to school for the initial 8 years of grade school and may progress into secondary school if they so choose. Children are taught geography, math, and English as well as agriculture and Arabic. Lessons last 36 to 40 minutes. After school the men work for their parents. Hanging out with friends or playing a sport of some sort is what teenagers do for fun.