American Infrastructure: The Problem By Samantha Martin

The major problem with American infrastructure is that more money is spent building up 1% of their infrastructure (new projects) instead of maintaining of the other 99% (pre-existing roads and bridges).

The amount of money spent on repairs and maintenance is a only approximation a third of what is needed.

The constant building of new roads will only produce more roads to maintain and repair in the future.

In Cities...

In cities, poor infrastructure endangers public safety of an increasingly large number of people.

Not only that but it also raises taxes.

What is being done?

States such as New Jersey have allocated more money than needed to repair of their roads and watched a stand flow of their road qualities rise.

People are advocating for the use oftransport scholars, David Levinson and Matthew Kahn's, theory of the "Fix it First."

Connection to APHG: Economic Stimulation and Public Services

Repairing roads before they become a major issue has a high chance to stimulate not only the infrastructure but also the GDP

  • Seeing as repair costs 4-10 times lower than replacement, the amount of money needed lowers, lowering taxes or raising refunds.

Less new roads means that traffic may increase, but will cause a boom in need for public transportation.

  • Better for the environment
  • Larger investment for public transportation = more jobs
Any questions?
Created By
SAMMI MARTIN
Appreciate

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.