- In 2016 we had a trade surplus of $1,070,000,000 and so far in 2017 we have a trade deficit of $161,600,000
- Machinery, like computers, is England's largest export
Imports and Exports
- England’s most exported goods include manufactured goods, fuel, chemicals, foods and tobacco.
- England's main imports are road vehicles and parts, foods, office machines, textile yarns, paper, and petroleum products.
- There are no trade barriers between the United States and England
- Capital is London
- The three largest cities are London, Birmingham, Manchester
- England has an advanced infastructure
- Population of 54,786,300 people
- English is primarily spoken
- Major occupations include Consulting engineer, Software developer, Advertising/Accounting Executive
- Unemployment rate of -4.7%
- Traditional greeting is a handshake
- Dress - similar to what is worn in the US
- Food - Traditional: fish and chips, yorkshire pudding, shepherd's pie
- Geography - Europe; Bordering countries: Wales, Scotland
- Art - differs between anything and everything
- Religions - Christianity, Roman Catholicism, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Judaism, Buddhism
Culture and Business Today
- Gender roles are not as prominent as they are in the United States
- Gifts are not expected in meetings, but do call if you will be more than five minutes late
- People may be stiff and formal at first
- Exchange gifts between friends and family on birthdays and holidays
- When invited to someone’s home, bring a box of chocolates.
- Multinational corporations include Tesco, Barclays, BP, Shell
- Ex: Tesco believes in making every shoppers life easier and better by providing excellent service and goods.
- Good or Service Tesco provides?: Grocery and general merchandise retailer
- Where else it is found: Ireland, Hungary, Malaysia, and Thailand