Loading

Minutes 11/27/17 Senate Secretary, Kara Donovan

  • Call to order
  • Invocation by Senator Brock
  • Pledge of Allegiance
  • Roll call by Secretary Donovan
  • Senators Prioleau, Webb, Marshall, Tilley, Magwood, O'Steen, Ruday, Sridharan, Simmons, Finley, and Hines, and Vice President Stewart were found absent
  • Approval of the minutes
Academic Affairs, Shreya Shankar
  • Graduation Resolution going through this week
  • Meeting with Dr. Burton from Career Center on Thursday, December 7th at 3:30 about possible increase in career service fee.
  • Matt speaking to various administrators about bereavement policy
  • Food trucks: finalization meeting with Dan Hoffman this Thursday
  • Major/Minor Fair: Thursday, January 11th from 12:30 -2:30 in the David Peebles Room in Hendrix!
  • Reaching out to PR team for advertising
  • Encouraging Bridge students to attend
  • Will have card reader at fair
  • Tremain working on initiative for renting textbooks from library, will meet with Kirsten Dean and other student government members to write proposal for funding
  • Kathleen looking into connecting local education communities with Clemson; reaching out to guides as well as local elementary schools
  • Exploring expansion of undergraduate research opportunities
  • Talking to orgs director about organizational research and methods of setting up Tiger Prowl
  • Unified database of research opportunities in every college
  • Going with Dr. Griffin to talk to undergraduate associate deans about undergraduate research fair
  • CU Drop in Research Spotlight
  • Please submit graphic designs for CUDIRS banner to email below
  • Contacting companies to buy podium
  • Looking for professors who want to present research; submit names if you know anyone
  • Contact info:
  • Shreya Shankar
  • 843-260-4372
  • shanka2@clemson.edu
  • @shreyatheslaya
Athletics, Josh Hutchinson
  • Updates:
  • Athletics Updates:
  • Working on 2018 policies
  • Increasing number of students through Gate 5 on Hill to help with distribution
  • Investigating method for student-led new software system and potentially better third party company
  • Balloon’s at the football games are biodegradable
  • The issue of using balloons is slightly over the Athletic Department’s head—group on campus has already taken it to the Provost’s office
  • Campus Rec Updates:
  • Constituency report coming soon
  • Projects:
  • Campus Rec Constituency report- Katelyn, Banner, and Morgan
  • Future Software project- Katie
  • Ticketing Forum- Campus Outreach and Athletics
  • Contact Info:
  • Josh Hutchinson | 803-727-3854 | jhutch4@g.clemson.edu
Campus Life, Jacob Livingston
  • Updates this Week:
  • Sitting down this week with RHA Special Events Director to nail down details about partnering Campus Life with residence halls to give students a more direct connection to Senate.
  • Farmer’s Market has a sponsor, funding, and a marketing team!
  • Tiger Art Wall has an official location: downtown next to the Tiger Sports Shop!
  • Clemson House Demolition- Sunday, December 3rd at 8:30 AM: updates
  • Continuing to be thankful for being on the best dang committee.
  • Lost all the weight I gained over break in tears shed while watching Coco. Give yourself two hours to go watch it, and then text me so we can talk about it! | jwlivin@clemson.edu | (843) 855-2516 | SC: @jacobsayshi | Twitter/Insta: @jacob_livvy
Finance & Procedures, Miller Hoffman
  • I hope everyone had a relaxing break and ready to finish the semester strong!
  • Legislation:
  • Second Read:
  • Executive Bylaw Amendments
  • Non-Op funding
  • Op funding
  • First Read:
  • Nothing from F&P tonight!
  • Updates:
  • Judicial bylaw amendments coming soon
  • Handbook amendments coming soon
  • Best case scenario: everything updated by Christmas
  • Funding Board this Wed! Come out!
  • ‘Says a lot about you if you ain't feelin’ us' (F&P)
  • mhoffm5@g.clemson.edu / 803-412-5983
Health & Human Services, Madison Gregoris
  • Senate Resolution 05!!!
  • Shoutout to Stephen, Hannah, Joe and Gale
  • Candygrams & flu shots through Clemson nurses hopefully
  • ACA Enrollment ends 12/15 - no premiums
  • Donate to Safe Harbor
  • 11/26 - 12/11: Boxes in OUR OFFICES, Hardin 127, Core Great Hall
  • Needs: deodorant, toothpaste, umbrellas, rain ponchos, shampoo, brushes, diapers, soap
  • Upcoming meetings:
  • 11/29 - Johnson Link & Doug Hallenback to talk about water bottles downtown becoming a more permanent thing
  • 11/30 - It’s On Us
  • If you want to have an open dialogue about how Pam really didn’t deserve Jim, I’m here | 315.559.2066, mjgrego@g.clemson.edu
Transportation & Facilities, Patrick Gorospe
  • Updates:
  • Missed you guys from California! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving break
  • SR 04
  • Projects:
  • Jessica Ruday, Derwin Simpson & Emily Anders - nap pods
  • Monica Rozman , Andrew O’Steen & Lisa Uy - looking for another awesome project to tackle
  • Upcoming Meetings:
  • Dan (bi-weekly)
  • Todd Barnette (bi-weekly)
  • Peter Knudsen (monthly)
  • CUhackit (Thursday nights at 7:30pm)
  • HMU 803-371-0959 | pgorosp@clemson.edu | @heyitsmepatg (coffee, free food, friendship)
University Services, Mikey Summers
  • General Updates:
  • ITSAB Funding - Deadline Tuesday after Thanksgiving
  • Meeting with CIO week after Thanksgiving
  • CUSG Census complete, will be sent out soon
  • Project Updates:
  • Thomas
  • Intramural Volleyball team
  • In between projects
  • Working with Marcel on Clemson Showcase
  • Bring High School students to campus and talk about financial aid, applying, etc.
  • Targeted at underrepresented and low-income students
  • Ashley
  • Food Summit has a date and venue, contacting speakers and drafting Advertising Materials
  • GCT: working on getting kiosks for trailway
  • Unity Event: met with Justin Giles, planning similar event, starting an RSO, planning a joint meeting, looking like a dinner event
  • Contact Information:
  • Mikey Summers
  • Phone: (864)328-7441
  • Email: mrsumme@clemson.edu
Clerk, Jack Council
  • Tour of the Archives
  • Friday, 12/8 at 1 pm
  • FILL OUT MY SURVEY IN THE GROUPME
  • Hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving break!
  • If you ever have any questions or just wanna hang out,
  • 704-488-3242
  • jcounci@g.clemson.edu
Secretary, Kara Donovan
  • Attendance google form https://goo.gl/forms/mGjUyEEQDPEcyGuJ2
  • Capital Improvement Feb 5!!
  • Walk-Thrus are February 2nd and 4th: these are mandatory!! Make yourselves available now (unless you have a very legitimate excuse)
  • Capital Improvement budget is currently $167,734 and is subject to potential further increases
  • Starting advertising this week → please have your committees submit proposals if they have project ideas!
  • Points:
  • Administering athletics constituency report in Fike
  • Stephen’s contest- 10 bonus points
  • CUDIRS
  • ITSAB cover photo
  • Funding board (biweekly)
  • Contact Info:
  • (410) 220-7220 | donova3@g.clemson.edu | Insta: @kara710 | Twitter: @kdon710 | Snapchat: @karadonovan710
Pro Temp, Steven Patrick
  • CUSG Intramurals
  • Senate Holiday Party
  • Fall Retreat Tshirts
  • Admin Dinner: Thursday January 25th, 2018 at 7:00pm in Hendrix
  • Mentor/Mentee Program
  • Buddy Olympics: afternoon of Friday January 12th, 2018
  • Formal (5mal)
  • February 3rd or 10th (probably)
  • Casino Royale
Vice President, Jaren Stewart
  • Report given by Senate President Leland Dunwoodie
  • Solution Found for problem to donating to Clemson Disaster Relief Fund:
  • Verify Bank Account
  • Social and ID
  • Add Secondary Account
  • $2900
  • Waiting on the remainder $132
  • Hoping to be done by December 4th
  • 2nd wave donations:
  • Delta Sigma Pi
  • BGR Project: Wednesday, November 29th at 3pm
Senate President, Leland Dunwoodie
  • Steering:
  • Senate Exec Elections
  • Committee mixer week
  • Rebranding TF, US, CL (handbook)
  • Three external reviews: business/POSC, technology, diversity + inclusion
  • New Diversity and Inclusion committee (handbook)
  • Admin advisor for each committee (handbook)
  • Steering lunch 11/29 12pm Hendrix 212
  • AVP Updates for 11/29 9am meeting
  • Service Project:
  • Disaster Relief Fund
  • Safe Harbor
  • Shoutouts:
  • Mar (Major Minor Fair)
  • Updates:
  • Rebranding committees
  • Leland Dunwoodie | 269-759-4768 | ldunwoo@g.clemson.edu | @lelanddunwoodie

Old Business

  • Senate Bill 31
  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • Sponsor: Jacob McMeekin
  • Purpose: To update the Executive Branch bylaws to reflect the appropriate changes to update the bylaws and procedures of the Executive Branch.
  • BD: move to call this bill to question
  • SB 31 passes
  • Senate Bill 32
  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • Purpose: To approve the recommended non-operational appropriations.
  • AS: move to call this bill to question
  • SB 32 passes
  • Senate Bill 33
  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • Purpose: To approve the recommended operational appropriations.
  • JC: move to call this bill to question
  • SB 33 passes
  • Senate Resolution 04
  • Authors: Peter Sterckx and Patrick Gorospe
  • Sponsors: Owen Phillips and Collin Braeuning
  • Purpose: To express Undergraduate Student Senate support for the creation of a makerspace within the for the allocation of the Hendrix Student Center bookstore space for the purpose of a Makerspace.
  • ZP: con- went to the long term planning meeting a few weeks ago, and they said Clemson is bursting at the seams saying we don’t have enough room in general; there are also multiple groups competing for the space and I don’t feel comfortable showing favoritism to one specific idea; I feel it is still a primarily STEM-focused space as well; the LGBTQIA+ space resolution from last semester was more saying this group should get space sometime in the future; we’re all here to try to make Clemson a Top 20 public school and need to look at Clemson as a whole in discussing this space
  • JC: pro- a great opportunity to help out students; the Makerspace will benefit a lot of students, could lead to more Creative Inquiry opportunities, wide variety of support from administrators across campus not just in STEM; as a STEM major, I don’t think this only helps those students, could help numerous different groups of students
  • MH: con- I love this idea first of all, but I am worried about setting a precedent of student government supporting space allocations on campus; I do understand the points you all are making and I think it’s a great idea, but going to keep my stance on space allocations as I’ve had before
  • MR: pro- they’re asking for some of this space and have addressed ways it could be laid out, and we have already set this precedent of supporting groups requesting space allocations; I’m a liberal arts person, but I am very interested in this space and would definitely visit it; something that everyone can use and won’t negatively impact our student body; and other schools have this and they have it better
  • ZP: con- I’m not against having a Makerspace in Hendrix, and I think the faculty support has been incredible, but I just don’t think we as student government should show favoritism to one group, shouldn’t fight for one organization above others
  • MS: pro- I do agree we shouldn’t be deciding who gets what space, but this resolution shows our support for this amazing student-run initiative, and it has a ton of student support on We the Tigers; also the space in the Hendrix Student Center should stay as space for students, and I think the Makerspace would really showcase the best of Clemson; and this really does impact all students regardless of academic background, enables students to go in and create new things and is something that can apply to any major really, will also help foster entrepreneurship
  • BB: con- don’t want to give support just because this one group has asked; haven’t heard of the other ideas for the space so I don’t want to show preference to one group until I know what all the other choices are
  • SS: pro- I joined student government for positive change and this is definitely positive change on campus; the reason they came to us is that we are the largest group representing the student body
  • MH: con- I know this is very valuable, but I have a problem saying one group gets to use this certain space
  • JH: pro- I don’t think this is playing favorites; this space really needs a central location for safety reasons and I think the location of this space is very important and so we need to consider that for the safety aspects
  • RR: con- I feel like the top and bottom purpose statements are a little different here
  • DS: pro- moving this space to the Student Center would really promote that this is for all students and not just STEM as can sometimes be associated with the Watt building; this is a professional development opportunity
  • BS: con- I think it’s important to think about the idea that this sets a precedence and I feel uncomfortable showing support since I don’t know what the other ideas are since they may not be represented by an organization
  • JC: pro- we’re not university administration, and I think this is a great way to show support for students who are coming to us, also other groups simply haven’t made presentations to us
  • BB: con- this is the Hendrix Student Center, but there are many faculty offices already in there; but I don’t want to hurt people who didn’t come to us to ask for help; I don’t like the idea of inherently prioritizing ideas
  • MR: pro- huge difference between advocating for the student body and playing favorites, and this is an example of advocating for the student body; this is a space that allows for collaboration and creativity; have also already set a precedent regarding space allocation
  • EG: move to call this resolution to question
  • Will now call this resolution to question
  • SR 04 passes
  • Senate Resolution 05
  • Author: Stephen Moore
  • Sponsors: Joe Whitaker, Gabriel Israel, and Hannah Ohlund
  • Purpose: To express Undergraduate Student Senate support for the addition of “gender identity or expression,” “parental or guardian status,” “marital status,” “citizenship,” “physical or mental disability,” and “medical condition” to art. II, § A, and art. II, § B of Clemson University’s Anti-Harassment and Non-Discrimination Policy.
  • SS: move to approve this resolution by acclamation
  • SR 05 has been approved by acclamation

New Business

  • Senate Resolution 06
  • Authors: Matt Phillips and Madison Bolick
  • Purpose: To express Undergraduate Student Senate support for the change of the Graduation Requirements to support students who fail a class in the semester before graduation.
  • JH: can only fail one class and still walk, how did you choose that?
  • MP: recommendation from administration
  • JH: so I know other schools have programs like this, are there any other policies like this that occur at other schools?
  • MP: something we could definitely bring up to the taskforce and there is still an appeal process for unforeseen circumstances
  • AC: process to actually evoke this change?
  • MP: we would bring this to the taskforce who would be responsible for making the change
  • RR: how would a student actually go about this if they do fail a class?
  • MB: we can look into that this week but would probably talk with advisor
  • SP: if a student walked and then say they failed again, would there be any other stipulations?
  • MP: they just still wouldn’t get their degree
  • PG: I agree with what was previously mentioned, and would you consider changing it to be has one more required class to complete?
  • MP: good idea and something we could look at this week
  • BB: are you intentionally being vague in the purpose statement saying just support students?
  • MB: we had it more specific before and we made it more intentionally vague
  • BB: is this supporting students or recommending a policy?
  • MP: so the policy is outlined in the resolution here and the process that would be followed, but administration kind of already knows what we are bringing to them
  • RR: does this include students that failed a lecture and lab together?
  • MP: something to look at regarding corequisites, but I think if the classes are required together that would count as one class
  • RR: what happens if someone were to get an incomplete?
  • MP: administration specifically brought up failing but we could bring that back to them and ask
  • RR: what about failing a class not a part of degree requirements?
  • MP: only if it’s required to graduate
  • OP: who is the “they” you are referring to?
  • MP: administrative taskforce focused on graduation
  • JS: in some parts it says seniors and others say final semester before graduation, would you consider changing that?
  • MP: yes will definitely clarify that to be students who are in their last semester
  • PG: what about having a minor that isn’t required for graduation and you fail a class under the minor requirements?
  • MP: in the same way you can voluntarily stay later at Clemson, but this would be for students who are looking to graduate and not just stay longer to take additional classes
  • BD: move to send this resolution back to Academic Affairs
  • SR 06 is back in Academic Affairs

Announcements

  • JS: move for a roll call
  • Senators Prioleau, Webb, Marshall, Cherry, Miller, Tilley, Moskowitz, O'Steen, Simmons, Finley, and Hines, and Vice President Stewart were found absent
  • JL: document regarding specifics of the area around the Clemson House implosion; also please come talk to me if you have questions regarding space allocations in the future
  • MR: been told a lot to ask questions beforehand, so please do make those suggestions beforehand to the authors to be more efficient
  • CJ: working on the constitutional amendment process to clarify terminology in impeachment proceedings, reach out to Mason Hammond about this
  • BB: help administer Athletics constituency report in Fike
  • MS: regarding the resolution passed tonight, I think it’s a matter of incentives and not playing favorites; if organizations are coming to speak to us we should reward them and not turn them away

MG: move to adjourn

Created By
Kara Donovan
Appreciate

Credits:

Created with images by JeongGuHyeok - "maple leaf book reading" • strecosa - "radishes fruit vegetables" • TBIT - "dollar bank note money"

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.