Battleship Cannon Portfolio Eddie Boylan

Our goal was to build a battleship cannon out of PVC pipe and shoot it. We first had to make the cannon itself, by following instructions and working as a team. We measured ad cut pieces of the pipes and glued them into each other to make the standard cannon every team had to use. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5rLwIwat6StSkxUVnRHUnREaE0

The first and hardest problem in our group was finding out what we wanted our design to be like. We started off thinking of making a base with legs like a tripod, then realized it would fall over easily without perfect balance. We then thought to make something bulky and sturdy with a flat base.

Cannon designed that appealed to us when browsing for ideas.

The image above is the type of base we went for. It had a large flat bottom and strong sides to hold the cannon at different angles while firing. There were also wheels on this design which we took out later.

Our whiteboard with the math used to find out dimensions.

In the photo above, we had to use sine functions to find out the height of the different holding points for the cannon to get precise angles. We did not have much trouble on this part once we found out the proper equation to get the correct length.

Our board when assigning jobs to each group member

We had the idea to add connectors to the edges of all of our pieces so they would hold together better. Originally, I made the connectors way to small to be cut out properly so I had to go back and change all the connectors. This problem set us back a little bit. By making each connector 3 inches we were able to cut the pieces out without a problem.

The board showing how we would fit all the pieces into our wood.

This picture was just to see if our dimensions would fit onto the wood we were given, which they did. The wheels and handles were then replaced by a spirograph and a bottom piece.

The spirograph that replaced our wheels

Originally we were going to have wheels under our base but realized it would take too long to design and to get working. To conserve on time, we created a spirograph, which allowed us to pick up the base and rotate it to shoot in different directions.

After our cannon was cut out and assembled, we had one problem when firing: the cannon would slide back after each shot and we would lose our angle. This was because the area for the dowel rod was too wide which allowed it to slide back and forth after shooting.
Our and 1 and 2 shots had similar averages
Peer Review

Weekly journals -https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B25zsLcSyzMWNEM0LVhkYUVMM1U

Made with Adobe Slate

Make your words and images move.

Get Slate

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.