Health Problems from the use of ICT equipment
Eye strain - it is from looking at screen too long especially in poor or bright lighting and a flickering screen. To solve this, you can have screen filters or a screen that doesn't flicker, have regular breaks and have suitable lighting and blinds on windows.
Back and neck problems - it is due to a poor posture or sitting in an awkward position when using a computer. To solve this, you can have adjustable chairs, footrests or a tilted screen.
Repetitive Strain Injury - It is damage to fingers and wrists by repeating movements for a long period of time. To solve this, you can have wrist rests, sit in the correct posture and a 5 minute break every hour.
Deep Vein Thrombosis - It is caused by no moving for a long time. The viens deep inside the leg are compressed and blood clots form. It can cause other health issues like strokes and it needs hospital treatment. To prevent this, you can take regular breaks, stand up and move around, have an adjustable chair and sit in a suitable posture.
Stress - it is caused by computer problems and issues, and new technology. Also home and work problems can cause it too. To reduce stress, you can speak to someone, see a doctor or counselor, excise and relax by doing meditation or yoga.
Safety precautions for ICT equipment
- No trip hazards like wires, bags and other obstacles
- No overloaded plug sockets
- Electrical equipment has a safety every year
- Have an enough space for people to move around
- No food or drink near electrical equipment
- Have suitable heating and ventilation
- Staff has to follow regulations
- Have fire extinguishers and clear fire exits