While the rest of the University of Chicago campus remains quiet prior to the start of the fall quarter on October 1st, six of the Maroons' athletic teams have been training and competing since mid-August.
A few highlights so far:
- Volleyball is currently riding an eight-match winning streak to start the 2018 season, led by UAA Athlete of the Week honoree Emma Griffith.
- Men's Soccer picked up a big victory at #2 ranked North Park, avenging a defeat to the Vikings in the 2017 NCAA Final Four.
- Women's Soccer, ranked second, is off to a 4-0 start.
- Men's and Women's Cross Country swept the field at their opening meet, led by medalists Henry Myers and Sophie Elgamal.
Keep scrolling to check out mini-pages on each squad!
NO EASY ROAD
UChicago's #3-ranked men's soccer team played its first four game away from home, including two in the state of Texas, and has come out with a 3-0-1 record after wins over #2 North Park, Southwestern (Texas), Benedictine, and a tie at #17 Trinity (Texas). Luckily for the Maroons -- who aim to return to the NCAA Final Four for the second-straight season -- the next FIVE games are home, sweet home.
- Wednesday, Sept. 12: Wheaton at UChicago, 7P
- Saturday, Sept. 15: Macalester at UChicago, 3P
- Sunday, Sept. 16: Loras at UChicago, 5P
- Wednesday, Sept. 19: Carrol at UChicago, 7P
NEWS & NOTES
- With his goal in the team's 2-0 win at Benedictine, senior Max Lopez broke the century mark for points in his career with 101. With 103 points heading into Wednesday's game against Wheaton, Lopez needs 13 more to catch #2 Paul Schuster and 17 more to tie the career leader, Dennis Ball (120).
- Fellow senior Matthew Koh is also creeping up on a UChicago record: he's just one assist away from tying Pat Barry's career mark of 27.
8-0 START to 2018
The Maroons, who brought nearly every starter back from its 2017 NCAA squad, have hardly been challenged in their first eight matches to start the year. In terms of sets, UChicago has defeated their opponents by a whopping 24-5. The victims so far: Kalamazoo (3-0), Rose-Hulman (3-0), Cornell (3-2), Albion (3-0), North Park (3-2), Concordia (3-0), St. Norbert (3-0), UW-Oshkosh (3-1).
- Tues., Sept. 11: Illinois Wesleyan at UChicago, 7P
- Fri./Sat. Sept. 14-15: UChicago at Carthage Tournament (4 matches)
- Tuesday, Sept. 18: UChicago at Calvin, 6:30P
- Fri./Sat. Sept. 21-22: UChicago at Illinois Wesleyan Classic (3 matches)
NEWS & NOTES
- MILESTONE ALERT: Head Coach Sharon Dingman is just three victories from hitting the 500 mark for her career. She's currently in her fifth year at UChicago and 27th overall, including stops at the University of Iowa, Illinois State, Butler and Auburn.
- Second-year setter Emma Griffith is averaging 10.38 assists per set through the team's first eight matches, which ranks second in the UAA.
- Second-year Aasha Dave was featured in our new Maroon Made Student-Athlete Spotlight Series this week. See video below!
With 12 first-years on its roster, the #3 Maroons have plenty of new faces on the field. Veterans Jenna McKinney (2 goals, assist) and Hanna Watkins (4 goals, assist) have helped lead the newcomers to a 4-0 start as the team seeks to return to its third NCAA Final Four in three seasons. So far, the Maroons have wins over Whitman (5-0), Kalamazoo (3-2), Knox (3-0) & Carroll (2-0). The next three contests find the Maroons home at Stagg Field.
- Wed., Sept. 12: #15 Hope at UChicago, 4P
- Sun., Sept. 16: UW-Oshkosh at UChicago, 1P
- Thurs., Sept. 20: North Central at UChicago, 4P
- Sat., Sept. 22: UChicago at Calvin, 1:30P
NEWS & NOTES
- While the matches have been a bit closer so far in 2018, the Maroons' defense has still produced three shutouts. Miranda Malone (253 min) and Katie Donovan (51 minutes) have split time in goal.
- Don't Call It A Comeback: Down by a 2-1 score at Kalamazoo Sept. 4, the Maroons got goals from Nicole Willing (67') and Rachel Dias (72') to avoid the upset with a thrilling come-from-behind win.
SHAKING IT OFF
Two losses -- one, a tight 24-17 decision at WashU; the other a 21-0 shutout to Simpson -- has the Maroons heading into the bye week looking to improve. UChicago will get its next shot at a victory at home Sept. 22 against Illinois College.
- Sat., Sept. 22: Illinois College at UChicago, 1P
- Sat., Sept. 29: UChicago at Cornell, 2P
- Sat., Oct. 6: UChicago at Lawrence, 1P
NEWS & NOTES
- Jackson Ross had a whopping 16 tackles and blocked a kick in the loss against Simpson. Teammate Zach Atiyeh has also had a strong start to the year, totaling a team-high 27 tackles across two games.
- First-year wide receiver Jacob Jackson opened his rookie campaign with seven catches for 91 yards and a TD in the setback at WashU.
- Senior Henry Imburgia was featured in the first of our new MaroonMade Student-Athlete Spotlight. Check it out below!
The Maroons swept the field on both sides, as the UChicago Men & UChicago Women's Cross Country teams won both squad titles at the St. Francis Twilight Meet Aug. 31. First-year Henry Myers and sophomore Sophie Elgamal took home medalist honors to lead the Maroons to a strong start to open 2018.
- Sat., Sept. 15: UChicago at Wheaton Invite, 9:15 AM
- Sat. Sept. 29: UChicago at Loyola Invite, 11:15 AM
- Fri., Oct. 5: UChicago at Benedictine Invite, 4P