I also conducted some quantitive research using Survey Monkey. Survey Monkey allowed me to easily create a survey and statistically summarise my findings so we could determine who our target audience would be and what their preferences were. The survey I made allowed me to compile some psychographic and demographic information about 14 people within our target audience. The button below will take you to the survey.
This question informed me what should be included in our narrative. For example, 71.43% of people who answered my survey said that they are more scared of having memory loss compared to dangerous animals and demons. In response to this we made sure that our narrative included the protagonist suffering a form of psychotic hallucination/memory loss at the ending of our horror sequence.
This question also informed me what should be included in our premise for our media product and what the antagonist should be. For example, 71.43% of people who answered my survey said that they had fears of demonic/possessed children compared to other conventional antagonists such as psychotic adults and ghosts. In response to this we made sure that our antagonist was a young demonic child to appeal to our target audience.
From this question I could see that 78.5% of people were more scared of permanent mental/psychotic illnesses than a terminal illness, the Flu or a stomach bug. This informed me that we should implement this into the narrative. In response, we made the protagonist have a mental illness and suffer hallucinations so it could appeal to the audience but also make them feel sympathetic towards the protagonist.
These results informed me that 64.29% of people felt more sympathetic towards female characters in horror films. In response to this data we made the protagonist a female character in order for the audience to feel more sympathetic towards her so the film could more appealing to the audience.
From these questions we determined that our age range of our target audience should be between 15-25 and the audience should not be gender specific as this way we can have a wider audience and appeal to more viewers.
57.14% of people asked said that they prefer to watch films with others and the other 42.86% said that they rather watch films alone. This gave us information that our film could still be watched by a secondary audience generating a wider target audience.
A larger majority of people said that they only watch horror films either once a week, once a month or once a year. With only 28.57% of people saying that they watch a horror film once a week, this highlighted the importance of having to boost marketing in distribution but also to make sure that it was exhibited straight to DVD or with online platforms such as Netflix as a theatrical release would only exhibit the movie for a short amount of time getting significantly less views. An online release would mean anyone could watch it any time boosting the amount of views the film gets.
It was reassuring to see that 64.29% of people we asked prefer the horror genre compared to other mainstream genres such as action, romance or comedy. This gave us indication to make sure that we conformed to a lot of the conventions in the horror genre involving micro features such as including jump-scares and low-key lighting. It also informed us that we should not try to subvert too many stereotypes of the genre as this could make it unappealing to the audience.