What is a healthy diet? (continued)
- You can’t get all these components from just eating one group. For example eating just bread will not give you the vitamins and minerals that vegetables would give you, even though it is giving you carbohydrates. Hence why eating from all the food groups is vital. (Kidshealth.org)
- Avoid hydrogenated fats because they are fats that contain hydrogen that was added to them so they solidify at room temperature and become liquid when heated, and they are very destructive to your health and can cause chronic diseases. (http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/hydrogenated-fats/)
- Along with eating right, making sure to get the right amount of calories every day (depending on your amounts of exercise daily and your lifestyle) is just as important, that way you get the energy you need. (kidshealth.org)
Why is a healthy diet important?
- Not following a healthy diet you can put you at risk for obesity (could lead to stress, depression, self confidence issues, anorexia, bulimia, energy loss, or even suicide) (https://www.mentalhelp.net/articles/psychological-consequences-of-being-overweight/)
- Can also create major health problems (for ex. Cancer, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, tooth decay) and more. (http://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/public+content/sa+health+internet/healthy+living/is+your+health+at+risk/the+risks+of+poor+nutrition)
- Eating all the right foods and following the MyPlate graphic allows you to have enough energy and nutrition to do the things you want to do in life and to reach your goals. (Kidshealth.org)
So Why Do I Care?
I care about eating a healthy diet, because without it, achieving my long-term life goals and also participating in my interests and hobbies would be difficult or even impossible. I am a competitive dancer, who just won a national dance competition over the summer. If I stopped eating a healthy diet, I would be at risk for obesity and it would be much harder to dance the way I do if I was obese and did not have great cardio respiratory endurance. Along with that, one of my long-term life goals is to one day be able to complete a half marathon. Continuing to eat healthy and maintain a healthy diet will allow me to one day be able to do that, however if I do not eat right, I am at risk for many health problems and that would make it much more difficult for me to accomplish. Therefore, eating healthy now and for the rest of your life, allows you to live a healthy and balanced life so that you can achieve your dreams and continue doing what you love.