Above: Mrs. Ulewicz's 8th grade students demonstrating the duality of historical non-fiction through picture books. Photo by Lauren Eve
- Monday, Sept. 24th: PTO Meeting - Baker Media Center - 7 pm
- Tuesday, Sept. 25th: Science Fair Club Meeting - Room 104 - 3:05 pm
- Tuesday, Sept. 25th: Girls' Basketball Home vs West - 4 pm
- Wednesday, Sept. 26th: Early Release Day - 12:09 pm Dismissal
- Wednesday, Sept. 26th: Book Club Info Meeting - Room 107 - 7:30 am
- Thursday, Sept. 27th: Quiz Bowl Starts - Room 114 - 3:05 pm
- Thursday, Sept. 27th: Intl. Craft & Folk Art Club - Media Center - 3:05 pm
- Thursday, Sept. 27th: 6th & 7th Grade Football - Away vs VanHoosen - 4 pm
- Thursday, Sept. 27th: 8th Grade Football - Home vs VanHoosen - 4 pm
- Tuesday, Oct. 2nd: Fall Sports Pictures - 3:15 pm
- Wednesday, Oct. 10th: A.L.I.C.E. Parent Meeting - Baker Gymnasium - 7 pm
Open House/Curriculum Night
We had an excellent turnout at Open House/Curriculum Night! It was exciting to see all of our Bobcat families. There was great energy in the building and we appreciate the parent interest and support with our learning goals. During Open House, teachers provided a brief overview of the curriculum and learning expectations. If you were unable to attend and have questions about your student's classes, please contact the teacher and they would be happy to fill you in or meet with you at a later date. Please see the staff email directory link above.
We hope you had an opportunity to stop by our interactive parent boards located in various areas of the building. This year parents had the opportunity to leave a positive message for their student on the Reach for the Stars bulletin board, share their hopes for their student's educational experience, provide input in the refinement of our core values, and participate in the 7th Grade Book Challenge. At the end of 6th hour, parents were given a stakeholder core values survey. If you could not attend or did not receive one, please scan the survey QR code below to participate. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Girls' Basketball: The fall 2018 sports season is underway. On September 18th, the 7th and 8th grade girls basketball teams played a tough season opener against the Larson Rebels. They left it all on the court and made progress on developing team chemistry. Both teams lost but walked away with plenty of positive things to build on. Their next game is September 25th at home versus West MS.
Football Scrimmage: The 6th/7th and 8th Grade Football Teams had an opportunity to suit up and participate in a practice of live game scenarios against Reuther. Coaches were able to stop the game and pick out coaching points to better prepare them for the first official game, which is on Thurs. Sept 27 versus Van Hoosen. Coaches also were able to try various players at various positions to find the best roles for each player.
Pay to Participate payments must be made before contests begin. The Football Pay to Participate deadline is next Wednesday Sept. 26. The season opener is Thurs. Sept. 27.
Pay to Participate Requirements
- Interscholastic Sports (FALL - Tackle Football, Girls Basketball, Sideline Cheer) $75 Fee – must be paid for each sport played (if you play 3 or more – the 3rd and 4th sports are free)
- Intramural Sports/Clubs (FALL - Flag Football, IM Girls Basketball, Cross Country, all clubs) $50 Fee - covers all IM sports/clubs all year
- Baker Book Club: Informational Meeting Sept. 26 - 7:30 am - Room 107
- Quiz Bowl: Thursday Sept. 27th - 3:05 pm - Room 114 - Mrs. Bollovaram
- Intl. Craft & Folk Art Club: Thursday, Sept. 27th - 3:05 pm - Media Center - Mrs. Loch
- Jazz Club: Every Friday Morning - 7:15 am - Room 122 - Dr. Xydas
Science Fair Club: This club offers an opportunity to students who would like to design, engineer and share the results of science experiments of their choice. There will be an informational meeting in room 104 on Tuesday, September 25, 2018. We will meet immediately after school to share details about the Science and Engineering Fair of Metro Detroit. For more information and important dates, use the link below.
International Craft and Folk Art Club: Hey Bobcats! Are you creative? Do you like to make things? Come join the NEW Baker Middle School International Craft and Folk Art Club! We’ll talk about crafts and folk art from different cultures around the world and then use what we have learned to create our own version of the craft. We will meet twice a month on Thursdays.
Our first meeting is this Thursday, September 27, immediately after school in the Baker Media Center. Please have a parent at Baker no later than 4:30 P.M. to pick you up. Come and join the fun!
If you would like to join the club, you may print out a copy of the Permission Slip here or from Schoology, or you may pick up a Permission Slip from the box outside the Media Center.