Hinduism is the third largest religion in the world, after Christianity and Islam. There is about 900 million Hindus world wide, the majority of which are in India. Around 80% of India's 1.2 billion people consider themselves Hindu.
- Brahman is Truth and Reality
- There is a one all Supreme Being
- The four Vedas are true
- Everyone should strive to achieve dharma
- Souls are immortal
History of Hinduism: There is no founder or date of origin for Hinduism. Hinduism is the result of India's gradual development of a religion. Hinduism dates at least back to 2000 BC.
Buddhism has 376 million followers worldwide. This makes Buddhism the fifth largest religion in the world. The majority of Buddhists live in southern Asia in Thailand, Myanmar, and other countries around those two.
- The goals is to reach Nirvana, a state of liberation from suffering
- The Four Noble Truths explore human suffering
- Eightfold Path, the way to reach the end of suffering
History of Buddhism: Buddhism was founded by Siddhartha Gautama in Northern India in 642 B.C. The purpose of Buddhism was to liberate people from suffering.
Christianity is the largest religion on earth. There are 2.2 billion Christians in the world. The largest Christian population are in USA, Brazil, and Russia.
- There is a God
- His son is Jesus Christ, the Messiah
- There is a Holy Spirit who helps guide us on our path
- Jesus Christ came to Earth to give us a way back to God in Heaven
- Jesus Christ performed the crucifixion to atone for our sins, giving us a way to repent.
- He performed the resurrection to give us a way to life after death
History of Christianity: Christianity began about 2000 years ago in Judea with Jesus Christ and His faithful disciples. Since then Christianity has spread and split into many specific branches.
There is 14 million Jews in the world. That makes Judaism the ninth largest religion. The largest population of Jews is in Israel , but outside of Israel they are spread worldwide with small populations in several countries.
- There is a God
- The Torah contains the teachings of God
- God will reward the good and punish the wicked
- The Messiah will come
- The dead will be resurected
History of Judaism: Judaism was founded over 3500 years ago in the Middle East. Jews believe that God appointed the Jews to be his chosen people.
There are 1.6 billion Muslims. This makes Islam the second largest religion of Earth. Most Muslims live in southern Asia in Pakistan, India, Iran, and other bordering countries.