Welcome back, Falcons!
Ms. Hadley's class busy learning!
Important reminders & Dates!
- Students are asked to bring a clear water bottle to stay hydrated. For safety, we have closed communal water fountains, but students can refill their water bottles at the newly installed water hydration stations.
- Parents needing to drop off items during the school day are asked to call prior to arriving. We will be practicing social distancing in our lobby and we appreciate your patience as we limit the number of people entering at one time.
- If your child requires medication during school hours please call Mrs. Richie to make an appointment. Appointments are available from 7:00-8:45 Monday through Friday. 352-344-2244 Extension 4419/4420
- EVERY FRIDAY is Falcon Spirit Day! Students and staff are encouraged to wear their school-spirit gear. Our school store will be open on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 7:20-7:50 with a variety of spirit attire.
- For safety, there will be NO bus notes to change buses this year.
- Friday, September 4- College Colors Day--Represent for your favorite college!
- Monday, September 7- Labor Day- No School
- Wednesday, September 30- Parent Conference Day- No school for students
Canvas for parents
If you haven't downloaded the Canvas app for parents or signed up for Canvas on your computer, visit the link below to find out how to set that up and pair it with your students accounts. This link is also available on our school website under the Parent Links tab. This platform will be your resource for student assignments, communication, and course information throughout the year.
iPad insurance opportunity
The district has partnered with a new company to provide parents with an opportunity to purchase iPad insurance. The cost is $24.27 a year per student and September 30, 2020 is the deadline to sign up. Claims be handled through the school. Visit the link below for more information.
No dismissal changes may be made AFTER 1:45.
Car Line Pick up and Drop off PROCEDURES
- Student drop off is between 7:20-7:50. Vehicles MAY NOT enter the middle school parking lot to drop off students. Please drive slowly. Please do not talk on your cellphone during drop-off.
- If it’s possible to delay your students arrival until 7:30 that would help us greatly.
- Students that arrive between 7:20-7:30 will be sent to the cafeteria until they can report to home room at 7:30.
- Please follow the drop off route so we can keep everyone safe.
- Students that arrive after 7:50 will be marked tardy.
Pick up: Dismissal begins at 2:20 pm. Vehicles MUST use the car line to pick up their student. Vehicles MAY NOT enter the middle school parking lot to pick up students. Please drive slowly. Please do not talk on your cellphone during pick up.
*We are no longer allowing students to cross over to be picked up from the parking lot.
If you are interested in being a part of the School Advisory Council, please email Rachel Bender firstname.lastname@example.org
Meetings will be held 3:00 pm via ZOOM invitations sent out to the interested participants.
- September 14, 2020
- November 9, 2020
- January 11, 2021
- March 8, 2021
- May 10, 2021
Follow us on Facebook!
Follow Citrus Springs Middle on Facebook for updates and pictures!
If you have not had a chance to check out all of the resources on our website-- check it out!
We have received word that we will be beginning our 20-21 sports season on Tuesday, September 8th at 2:30. Our fall sports are as follows and will begin on this day.
Football -7th and 8th grade-tryouts/practice-Monday through Friday 2:30-4:30
Volleyball-7th and 8th grade-tryouts/practice-Monday through Friday 2:30-4:30
Cheerleading-7th and 8th grade-tryouts/practice-Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 2:30-4:00
Golf-6th, 7th and 8th grade-tryouts/practice-Monday through Friday-3:00-4:30 (*Golfers will need to provide their own transportation to golf course and have their own clubs)
Cross country- 6th, 7th, and 8th will start September 15 from 2:30- 4:00.
All athletes must complete the following before tryouts Tuesday, September 8th. This includes brick and mortar and Citrus Virtual students.
1. Complete a current physical packet-You can find the physical packet at the following link https://csm.citrusschools.org/athletics/athletic_packet or a packet may be picked up in the front office.
2. Complete the 3 mandatory videos-Instructions are on the second page of the physical packet. The required videos are to be completed at the beginning of each school year.
3. Complete the attached COVID-19 Consent Form that was recently added to the athletic physical packet.
A school entrance physical which is generally turned into guidance is NOT an acceptable physical for athletics. In order for a student to play sports they will need a current EL2 completed by your primary care physician or any local physician.
Due to the latest changes in our athletic season start date, athletic schedules are currently unavailable.
The Athletic timeline for sports throughout the year is also currently unavailable. Once these items are available they will be posted on our website as well as advertised on FNN.
Once tryouts have been completed there will be a parent meeting for each sport that will include more detailed information.
Please review the attached cover pages to check grade eligibility for each sport.
Please don’t hesitate to call Mrs. Richie if you have any questions. 352-344-2244 Ext. 4419
If you have any questions concerning Title l please call: Rene’ Johnson (Title l Coordinator) @ 352-726-1931
A.V.I.D. is a college and career readiness program-Advancement Via Individual Determination. AVID is an academic, regularly scheduled elective class, during the school day, that focuses on writing as a tool of learning, the inquiry method, and collaborative grouping. The three main components are: Academic Instruction, Tutorial Support, and Motivational Activities/Projects for future planning and success. This is an elective class that requires an application and interview to be accepted.
ALL parents are encouraged to read this section to receive information that will help you and your child prepare for the future-- the where and what to do next for your child’s education.
Calendar of events for AVID in September:
- AVID dress up day is the second Tuesday of each month, however this month AVID dress up day will be September 15th. Students must wear nicer clothes (meaning not jeans and t-shirts) on that day to practice or model interview first impressions.
- September 30th- Parent zoom night about My Career Shines and Fundraiser with opportunity for college scholarship money
Your Child’s Future Planning: First impressions are important… When introducing yourself to someone new you need to have a firm handshake, look the person in the eyes, speak clearly, and use proper manners. First impressions are formed within the first 30 seconds of contact with a new person, potential employer, or instructor. In order to come back from a bad first impressions you would have to have 20 more positive interactions with that person. First impressions matter.
National Jr. Honor Society update
Due to the current situation with COVID 19 and the limited participation opportunities, NJHS will not be active during the fall semester. It is possible that in January we will be able to hold the induction ceremony and resume NJHS activities. We will reevaluate in November and let you know at that time. Thanks for all you do to help our students succeed!
NJHS Sponsors: Abramowich, Fowler, Jolly
Teachers working out-of-Field
Citrus Springs Middle School is proud that all 45 teachers and administrators who work with our students are certified by the State of Florida or other governing board. We appreciate the following teacher who has volunteered to teach a subject outside of her primary certification and is currently taking classes to obtain certification in the area she is teaching out-of-field.
Teacher: Lori Biggs Course: Reading
This teacher has both experience and coursework in the area she is teaching. She is an excellent teacher, and we appreciate the extra effort she is putting forth on behalf of our students.
The Florida Department of Juvenile Justice has announced a new awareness campaign aimed at addressing school threats by students in Florida. Learn more about DJJ’s #ItsNoJoke campaign here.
Guidance Resources & information
Our guidance department is here to serve you and your student. You are welcome to call and set up a phone or Zoom conference with your student's teachers or speak with a guidance counselor about any concerns you may have. In addition, we will have a designated parent conference day on Wednesday, September 30.
Mrs. Brendel – Guidance Secretary, ext. 4411 email- brendelC@citrusschools.org
Mrs. Hum – Registrar, ext. 4412 email@example.com
Mrs. Pastorello – School Counselor assisting students with last names A-L, ext. 4407 email- firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Pettit -School Counselor assisting students with the last names M-Z, ext. 4408 email- email@example.com
Mr. Smith- School Social Worker, (352) 400-0886 email- firstname.lastname@example.org
School Financial Report
A copy of the most recent school financial report is located on our school website.