Expressions from the Waiter or Waitress
Taking notes about the order
- Would you like to order?
- Can I help you?
- Are you ready to order?
- Are you going to try any of our…?
- What can I do for you?
- Have you booked a table?
- Can I take your order, Sir/Madam?
- Would you follow me, please?
- May I show you a table?
- How many are you?
- Would you like a / an / some…?
- What about a / an / some…?
- Can I get you a / an / some…?
- Won’t you go for a / an / some…?
- How would you like your steak? (rare, medium, well-done)
- Do you want a salad with it?
- Do you want vegetables with it?
- Why don´t you try the pizza?
- Why don´t you try our new menu?
- Do you want a dessert?
Asking about drinks
- What would you like to drink?
- Anything to drink?
- To drink?
- Would you like to try the house wine?
- Is everything all right?
- Did you enjoy your meal?
- Are you paying together?
Expressions from the customer
Arriving at the restaurant
- Good evening, the name is ______. I have a table booked for six.
- A table for you, please.
- May we sit at this table?
- The menu, please.
- Do you have the menu in English/German/French ..., please?
- Do you have a high chair for young children, please?
- Could we have a table over there, please?
- I'm sorry but I asked for a table by the window.
- Could we have an extra chair, please?
- We are not ready yet.
During /after the meal
- Could we have some more bread, please?
- Do you have a pepper mill?
- Could I have some dressing, please?
- Could you pass me the salt, please?
- That was delicious. My compliments to the chef.
- Have you got wine by the glass?
- I ´ll have the same.
- I´d prefer red wine.
- Please bring us another bottle of wine.
- What can you recommend?
- Can I have chips (AM= french fries) instead of salad?
- Can I have...?
- Could I have the bill, please?
- Do you take Visa?
- We'd like separate bills, please.
- Is service included?
- No, please. This is on me. (When you wish to pay for everyone.)