The month of May has been incredibly busy and filled with countless stories of God’s provision and faithfulness. As I sit here writing this newsletter, I am actually having a difficult time choosing which ones to share. I will just share a little, but I want you to know that God is working in big ways here in East Africa!
I lift my eyes to the hills...
As I travelled to Tanzania to prepare for the Mercy Medical Team (MMT), I was excited to be working alongside the Lutheran Church in East Africa and to be back in the place that feels like home already. However, I was disappointed that I had not yet received my nursing license from Tanzania and therefore can’t apply for my work or resident permits yet. As my plane flew past Mt. Kilimanjaro, I was reminded of Psalm 121:1-2, “I lift my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.” Looking at Kilimanjaro, I breathed a prayer for God’s provision and guidance.
My help is from the Lord, who made heaven & earth!
As if God’s faithfulness with my nursing license wasn’t proof enough, He orchestrated an incredible MMT! The team of volunteers from the US together with the local church volunteers and medical staff worked tirelessly and seamlessly together. We had countless patients who expressed their gratitude for their care—both medicine for their physical bodies and God’s Word to feed their souls. One patient even returned by foot carrying a heavy bag of corn as a gift of thanks for the team. Another one of my highlights was working alongside nurses and doctors that I already knew which allowed them to feel comfortable asking me for some guidance on a few skills. As I consider the month of May, one thing becomes crystal clear to me—medicine, pastors, volunteers, nurses, and doctors… all of these are good, but our real help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth!
- Continue praying for strength, courage, joy, and patience as I prepare to live in a new country.
- Thanksgiving for a wonderful Mercy Medical Team and all the incredible people who pulled together to make it possible.
- Continue praying for a successful and smooth processes in obtaining a nursing license, work, and resident permits in Tanzania.
- Thanksgiving for God’s many provisions, encouragement, and guidance this month.
- Pray for the 1300+ people who received medical care and heard the Gospel during this MMT. Pray for the local pastors who continue to tirelessly witness to and teach these people about Jesus.