We were doing the planning of our go kart on the wipe board, along with Ethan's crazy idea for a transmission. We also shopped for wheels from Harbor Freight, $6 dollars a wheel. We divided up the system as well, Colin: electronics, Ethan: drive system, Ryan: steering, Nolan: On shape and Don: Braking.
We choose our plywood, a beautiful not very warped piece of plywood to create our cart from.
is coming along very well, the seat pieces are beginning to be created and then exported to VCarve
The start of the electronics dashboard, it is going to house all of our electronic buttons and outputs, it's going to be very well cable managed to avoid error.
The Arduino dashboard began getting wired. There are 3 buttons, a pedal, 2 leds, 1 potentiometer, along with a servo for the throttle. Our $6 dollar Hazard Fraud (Harbor Freight) wheels we were able to get, they look great, if only they were rated for above 5 mph. The front wheel frame was also began to be constructed.
A new piece was shopbot'ed! A new bottom gusset to strengthen the 2 x 4 frame. I did this one personally and it worked perfect.
Here you can see the go kart in great shape. A dowel rod was mounted for the transmission to ride on, the steering PVC pipe was adjusted and secured to the side of the kart, we now need to attach a lever to it. We had to use a sander to shave down our gear stop plate on the rear axle. You can see the final result of the brake on the rear axle and a great picture of teammate Don using a sander.
We attached a handle for the steering system on the steering rod, but this one broke. We will have to make a fresh one.This is the start of the transmission getting mounted to the GoKart.
Riddled with too many problems to list, but we have been assured will work (by Ethan.) Although when it does work, it is very cool.
This video shows the transmission's most amazing failure. Yeah, we had to fix that. (At least we got it on camera!)
This whole operation of fixing the transmission has been called "Stop the slop." Namely because the primary cause of failure is weakening of the wood and thus 'slop' in our gears causing jams. (Yes I came up with the name, thank you.)