Activity 1 - Look at the image of the wind turbines. What do you see? Why was this image chosen? What does it have to do with the technologies curriculum?
Answers in the weekly discussion forum
- design solution for an environmental problem
- someone thought of this and then made it
- innovation and creativity
- invention to solve a problem
Activity 2 Melbourne Declaration on Educational Goals for Young Australians
What is the purpose behind the Declaration?
dedicated to improving the future of Australia through improving educational outcomes and positioning young Australians to live fulfilling, productive and responsible lives
How can you characterise / describe the "young Australians" the Declaration is committed to developing?
- people that have respect for social, cultural and religious diversity and are global citizens
- understand the importance of building and maintaining a relationship with Asia
- skilled at a tertiary level
- skilled with ICT
- scientifically literate, problem-solvers and have creative thinking
Why must teachers be aware of this document?
Links to Teacher Standards
- Develop strong partnerships (3.7, 7)
- Quality teaching (1, 3, 4) and strong leadership (5.4, 6, 7)
- Strengthening early childhood education (1, 3, 5)
- Enhancing middle years development (1, 3, 5)
- Support in senior schooling and youth transitions (1, 3, 5)
- World-class curriculum and assessment (1, 2, 3, 5)
- Improving educational outcomes for all (1, 2.4, 4)
- Strengthen accountability and transparency (5.4, 7)
Activity 3 Deep-dive into Digital Technologies curriculum
The technologies curriculum looks at embedding of 21st century skills across all learning areas under general capabilities. The curriculum guides us in creating preferred futures by developing project management skills. These thinking skills will be covered in the 3 different types - systems, design and computational.
When you had a good look at the curriculum:
- was there any content that surprises you?
- what are some of the concerns or challenges that you think you may face when teaching the digital technologies curriculum content?
- identify some strategies that you could put into place that may assist you in overcoming some of those identified concerns and challenges.