- Born in 483, in Tauresium, in modern day Macedonia
- Died at age 82 in 565 in Constantinople while still ruling Byzantium
- Came from a peasant family as a child, but was well educated growing up
- Ruled the Byzantine Empire from 527-565 (38years)
- Well known for being involved in the Nika Riots
- Was well respected for vast amounts of land in the eastern mediterranean region
- Always seemed to be involved in warlike conflicts
- Created Justinian Code
Brief Summary of the Code of Justinian
- Had few changes but made large social impacts in society
- Had the Hagia Sofia rebuilt
- Created land barricades around his empire
- Made underground water cisterns for empire
This map shows Justinian's Empire during his 38 year reign as Byzantine Emperor
- Evans, James Allan (2005). The Emperor Justinian and the Byzantine Empire. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press. ISBN 0-313-32582-0.
- Cameron, Averil et al.(eds.) (2000). "Justinian Era". The Cambridge Ancient History (Second ed.). Cambridge.
- Moorhead, John (1994). Justinian. London.