Hi! My name is Samantha So and I'm interested in the health care field.
My co-op placement is at Mount Sinai Hospital,
at 14 North Nursing Ward.
At 14 North, I have many daily tasks that I need to complete every day, such as:
- Organize and file patient and nursing charts
- Create patient and nurse binder tags
- Update patients' and nurses' board
- Photocopy medical charts
- Restocking supplies (ex. gloves, blankets, papers, etc.)
- Deliver blood, specimen or medical machinery
- Make blood kits
- Make patient's beds (ex. change linens)
- Transport patients
- Answer patients' pages when nurses are busy
BE CURIOUS AND LET YOUR CURIOSITY WANDER TO DISCOVER NEW EXPERIENCES AND OPPORTUNITIES!
- Don't be afraid to ask your surrounding medical professionals any questions (as long as they are appropriate)!!!
- They love to share their knowlegde and experiences with you as long as you ask at an appropriate time!
- Research about your placement and use that information to formulate your question!
BE OBSERVANT AND ALWAYS UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING ON!
Since I was at a hospital placement, it was important to know what is happening at my workplace to be an
efficient and pratical worker.
- Workplace becomes more efficient;
- Helps you to answer coworkers' questions;
- Creating a trusting relationship with other coworkers at your workplace.
I really enjoyed my placement since it was filled with funny and joyful staff members who would make jokes even though the nursing floor sometimes felt gloomy.
I learned a lot from understanding how a hospital runs to understanding how all the combined, hardworking efforts of all hospital personels create the best patient care possible.
In addition, I got to network with medical professionals who provided guidance on my career path as well as life lessons.
Most importantly, my placement further empowered my ambition to pursue a career in the health care sector.
Thank you for reading!