The main challenge for me during this project was the whole concept of painting abstract forms from my head. Abstraction is definitely not my forte, but I wanted to keep pushing it because I felt the more I dove into this project, it became a great complement to my main body of work. At first I saw them as two separate practices, but upon completing this project, I realize they are not all that different after all. Painting abstractly took a lot more planning out than I had anticipated, and that was a challenge for me at times. I was actively thinking about the way things move, emerge, and interact with each other as well as the space they are in. I tried to compose my pieces in a wide variety of ways, but some of them ended up very similar in size, or the way they were laid out onto the paper. I think this projects successes lie in the growth that occurred during the process. I pushed myself to do something uncomfortable, and I still have a lot of pushing and learning to do, but I feel as though this was a huge step for my art practice. I think it could have been stronger if I did a bigger variety in the size of my pieces, and not been so limited. I also feel as though if i would have let go of control more throughout the process, some really interesting things would have happened. I believe that will be the next step in developing my work- the practice of letting go of control sometimes. Letting loose and just letting the paint do what it wants to do, instead of me trying to make it what I want it to be.
My project is loosely based on my interpretation of cellular-like structures. I'm playing around with form and shape and putting down on paper what I imagine these forms to look and act like. They are in no way exact or correct, but more free-flowing and loosely rendered representations of the idea of the cell in a number of forms. I plan to make at least 8 large (18x24) pieces by the end of the semester, and a handful of smaller studies that inform them.