Why the Arts?
The arts are essential...all students deserve the opportunity to take part in the arts, both in school and in the community. The arts can positively affect entire school culture--especially student motivation, attitudes, and attendance--which encourages students to:
- Stay in school
- Succeed in school
- Succeed in life
- Succeed in work
A student involved in the arts is four times more likely to be recognized for academic achievement!
- Bring YOUR gifts. You are more creative than you know.
- Form a committee on your campus of like-minded individuals to plan curriculum.
- Keep it simple ... start with one thing
- Find resources ...Education Closet, Arts Attack, Music in Motion
- Form strong arts connections within the community
Arts Integration is Key!
Using graphic novels with students who struggle with comprehension helps teachers to pinpoint deficits in comprehension skills, and provides opportunities to develop writing and thinking skills.