How did you attract/ address your audience?
We have utilized piers, friends and families when looking for ways that our sequence could be improved.
To see how improvements could be made and how it appealed to our target audience, we showed our sequence to a group of 30 people and asked for their feedback on padlet. (https://padlet.com/kperera/thebook2)
I also conducted and filmed two interviews for quantitative research to find out further what could be improved and if our sequence appealed to them, as they were in the target audience. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QurdypzWgz4&t=3s + https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiboVKvTtNU&t=12s)
The Questions that I asked were:
- Who do you think the central character is?
- Do you know why the child is harming/haunting the mother?
- In your opinion, what component is the weakest in causing the most fear/ tension? (cinematography, mise en scene, editing, sound)
- Do you find the ending suspenseful?
- Could it be improved with sound?
- If you were to improve the titles, how would you do so? What would you change?
From the padlet and interviews, i learnt that the main concern for people was the lack of information surrounding the antagonists back story and the sound. As a group, we needed to decide how to make it as clear as possible that she was no longer alive, while not making our sequence too long. This resulted in us simply showing a memorial photo of the young girl showing her dates during the opening titles. The audience members that we showed our sequence to after this agreed that the young girls backstory was now clear.
After learning through the padlet discussion and feedback that our titles didn't follow the conventional order, we decided that it was extremely important to fix this. Furthermore, the audience said that although our titles were good, it would be better if they were made clearer. when adjusting this, we also made the decision to change the colours of the name and the role, so that it was made clearer what everyone did and what role everyone played in the production of our sequence.
We were also told that the transition of low key lighting to high key lighting when the dog walk takes place was too extreme. As we were in a position where refilming was not an option, we utilised our skills in premier pro and added an adjustment colour correcting layer which made the transition less extreme.
We also received feedback from two media teachers which hadn't seen our sequence before. They offered technical feedback to improve our piece. However, we prioritised decreasing the length of the black screen towards the end of our sequence. This was because we had little time left to finish editing our sequence and many of the other shots we felt were very important in the narrative.