2019 At A Glance
- Roster size: 16
- Returners: 12
- Captains: Seniors Gabbi Vachon and Jenna VanderLaan, junior Adair Cutler
- 2019 MIAA Preseason Poll: Second
- 2019 NCAA Preseason Poll: 21st
- 2018 Regular Season Recap: Hope finished with an overall record of 25-8 last year and was 7-1 in MIAA play to finish in second place.
- 2018 MIAA Tournament Recap: As second seed in the league tournament, the Flying Dutch defeated third-seed Alma College in straight sets (25-20, 27-25, 25-12) in the semifinal round. Against host and top-seeded Calvin College, Hope lost to the Knights in four sets (16-25, 25-20, 16-25, 13-25).
- 2018 NCAA Tournament Recap: After receiving an at-large bid into the NCAA Division III Volleyball Tournament, the Flying Dutch were edged by DePauw University in five sets (18-25, 25-23, 25-21, 23-25, 9-15) in the first round.
Pictured: Senior Jenna VanderLaan receives a serve.
- Seniors Gabbi Vachon and Jenna VanderLaan return as Flying Dutch defensive specialists. In 2018, Vachon led Hope with 493 digs (4.29 per set) while VanderLaan had 228 (2.13 per set).
- Sophomore middle hitter McKenna Otto recorded 306 total kills during the 2018 season. Overall, she averaged 2.72 kills per set on a .327 percentage.
- Senior outside hitter Ryann Stutz recorded 200 total kills during the 2018 season. Overall, she averaged 2.02 kills per set on a .228 percentage.
- Junior Adair Cutler and sophomore Tracy Westra direct Hope's attack as returning setters. In 2018, Cutler recorded 632 total assists (5.36 per set) while Westra had 591 total (5.09 per set).
"The depth that we have returning in our offense and defense is awesome. The experience that our setters had last year, being able to know what kind of offense we're running, being able to establish that early is great. And we returned our core defensive group, too." — Head coach Becky Schmidt
2019 Coaching Staff
Head Coach Becky Schmidt
Becky Schmidt has made her mark on Hope College volleyball as a student-athlete and as a head coach. She guided the Flying Dutch to their first national championship during the 2014 NCAA Division III Tournament. Hope matched a school record for wins in a single season with a 34-2 record that season.
A 1999 Hope graduate, she became the first Hope volleyball player to receive NCAA Division III All-American honors. She was also awarded a NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship.
Schmidt holds the academic rank of associate professor of kinesiology.