Today we joined the country in two minutes silence in remembrance of those who lost their lives in Christchurch last week. Staff have followed Ministry of Education Guidelines; acknowledging this abhorrent event in an age appropriate way and reassured our children of their safety but otherwise we have just continued our usual routine.
Sadly, it is because of events like this we question and review our procedures. One area that we are currently reviewing is our current Lockdown Procedure here at school. I have been in discussion with local colleagues and I read this morning that the Ministry of Education is undertaking a national review in the next weeks.
I am assured we do have an effective procedure in place however as each school or location is unique, we need to consider how we can strengthen this.
Last week our Year 4, 5 and 6 students had a fabulous week at Marahau… Thank you to all the parents who transported, helped out on specific days and of course the ones who stayed the whole week. Camps are all about CHALLENGE and from talking to a number of our students they certainly feel pretty pleased with themselves, meeting the various challenges of being on camp for five days.
I also want to acknowledge the time Jaki, Nardia and Lauren put into planning and preparing for camp, and then the week away from their homes and family, providing this opportunity for your children. For Lauren to be so focussed on camp the week prior to her wedding is particularly appreciated.
I have just had a text from her… even on the morning of her wedding she has time for us, apparently it is a beautiful day in Wanaka!!!
This afternoon we have been treated to a Royal New Zealand Ballet performance at the Theatre Royal… we are certainly lucky to have been able to take up this opportunity. For lots of us (including me) it is our first live Ballet experience.
Next week our Year 7 and 8's take part in their annual Summer Sports in Motueka. An opportunity to interact with peers from all the other Motueka schools.
Noho ora mai, Grant and the Team at Upper Moutere
Ellie: for the PRIDE you are taking in your learning. We love the way you 'beam with pride' when sharing your learning with us.
Marcus: for the RESPECT you show by using your delightful manners while talking to adults. What a star!
Turama & Ramaroa nui
To the students on camp for a fantastic week at Marahau.
- Ariana – thank you for giving up your own time to help a fellow class mate with their learning during break time. Nga mihi Mahana Ariana.
- Maddy – Nga mihi Mahna Maddy. You showed care and consideration toward Kylie when you made her lunch at MOTEC. Tino pai to tunu!
- William – Nga mihi nui for sharing your knowledge of current events and articulating it so well for all of us to understand and connect with. You confident light was shining bright.
Dates for your diary
- 22 March, Ballet in a Box
- 26 March, Y7/8 Summer Sports
- 4 April, Gumboot Day - Mental Health Fundraiser, Gold coin donation
- 10 April, Student Led Conferences
- 11 April, Tales from the Farm
- 12 April, End of Term 1
- 29 April, Start Term 2
- 20 May, Y8 Whenuaiti