The best software developers are creative and have the technical expertise to carry out innovative ideas. You might expect software developers to sit at their desks designing programs all day – and they do, but their job involves many more responsibilities. They could spend their days working on a client project from scratch and writing new code. But they could also be tasked with maintaining or improving the code for programs that are already up and running.
"Developers are problem solvers"
Software developers also check for bugs in software. And although the job does involve extreme concentration and chunks of uninterrupted time, software developers have to collaborate with others, including fellow developers, managers or clients. Developers are often natural problem solvers who possess strong analytical skills and the ability to think outside the box.
"25.6 job growth between 2018 and 2028"
Software developers are employed in a range of industries, including computer systems design, manufacturing and finance. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects 25.6 percent employment growth for software developers between 2018 and 2028. In that period, an estimated 241,500 jobs should open up.
DEVELOPERS ARE IN HIGH DEMAND
Burning Glass, which compiles and analyzes millions of job postings from across the country, estimates that mobile app developer jobs will grow 30.7 percent over the next decade. Mobile app development remains an in-demand job, with a median salary of $103,805 (Analyst firm Robert Half, estimates a median salary for a mobile app developer at $141,000 per year). Across the country, the average time to fill a mobile app developer position is 43 days, which suggests a high level of demand.
JOB TITLES UTILIZING MOBILE APP DEVELOPER SKILLS
- Software Development Roles
- Engineering Fellow
- CIO/Chief Digital Officer/Chief Innovation Officer
- VP of Engineering/Director of Engineering
- Chief Architect
- Software Architect
- Engineering Project Manager/Engineering Manager
- Technical Lead/Engineering Lead/Team Lead
- Principal Software Engineer
- Senior Software Engineer/Senior Software Developer
- Software Engineer
- Software Developer
- Junior Software Developer
- Intern Software Developer
Software Developer Facts
Current Job Openings
$65,000 - $144,000
Software Developer Ranked #1 in 100 Best Jobs
RVC Mobile App Certificate Students Work Locally
- TREKK DESIGN
- Woodward Governor
- Lyons Group
- Rockford Park District
- City of Rockford
- UTC Aerospace
- Collins Aerospace
- Swedish American Hospital & Clinics
- OSF Hospital & Clinics
- ABC Supply
- Supply Core
- Entre’ Computers
- RPS 205
- Belvidere School District
- Rockton School District
- Roscoe School District
- Bisconti Computers
- Transform Rockford
- United Way
CERTIFICATE ELIGIBILITY AND REQUIREMENTS
- No prerequisites required!
- A certificate is awarded upon completion of 11 credit units.
- Students will learn programming logic. iOS and Android development skills
Develop on Real Devices!
Students begin developing apps in week 1. In addition, students utilize real Android and iOS devices to test their creations!
- Prepares the student for a career as a mobile application developer
- Develop the skills required to create applications for the major mobile device players including Apple iPhone and Google Android
- Create strategies to overcome mobile development challenges including memory and processor limitations, intermittent network access, and limited battery power
- Learn how to effectively use application architectures for a range of wireless devices via hands-on experience
- Explain the factors to consider when designing software for multiple platforms
- Increase confidence by implementing applications from scratch using best practice principles including object oriented design and test driven development
- Understand the relationship between the mobile market and other emerging technologies including cloud computing and social networking platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Acquire the necessary skills to ensure mobile applications efficiently utilize corporate data or data available from external web services
- Gain insight into new trends and features in the mobile device marketplace
- CIS170 Programming Logic & Design
- CIS280 Programming iOS Apple Mobile Devices (Fall only)
- CIS245 Programming Android for Mobile Devices (Spring only)