Some ideas that rose to the top during the final ranking process included:
- Focusing on epigenetics/genomics/metabolics and environmental research in pediatric and adult disease
- Developing a lung health center or institute
- Creating sustained partnerships with communities for research
- Establishing an institute or center dedicated to personalized medicine and stem cells
- Becoming a world leader in myocardial biology
The hundreds of thoughts and suggestions generated during the retreat were recorded for future use and review. The event was managed by Learning & Organization Development staff from the Northwestern University Office of Human Resources, with support from Northwestern Information Technology. The retreat was hosted by Dean Neilson and Rex L. Chisholm, PhD, vice dean for Scientific Affairs at Feinberg.