- Debate Presentations Graded
- Debate Responses due
- Introduce invitational speeches
- How to format your speech
- Choose topics & groups
- Practice discussion w/ audience
challenging traditional modes of argument
WHAT IS INVITATIONAL SPEAKING?
A type of public speaking in which a speaker enters a dialogue with the audience
Biggest priority is to understand and appreciate different positions, even if they are different from your own
Persuasion's goal = Agreement ; Invitational's goal = Exploration
- Equality: All perspectives are equally valid
- Value: All perspectives have inherent value
- Self-Determination: Everyone is an expert in their own life and can make their own decisions
- Use "I" language
- Ask questions
HOW TO ORGANIZE YOUR SPEECH
What is in an introduction?
How to organize the body
What is in a conclusion?
Go to 'Sample Invitational Speech Outline'
WHAT ABOUT DELIVERY?
Go to 'Invitational Speech Evaluation'
CHOOSE GROUPS & TOPICS
- Get in groups
- Once in groups, I will go around and give each group a question
- Each individual in the group should answer the question (you can all have the same opinion or differing opinion- does not matter)
- Provide your own reason why you believe the way you do
- PRESENT: when up at front, each member will say their opinion then will invite the audience for a discussion
- GOAL: try to use 'I' language and remember to affirm the audience member