- Thought Essay #2 due tonight
- Debate Reflections due tonight
- Hardcopy of rough draft of outline due in two weeks in class
- SATURDAY CLASS: No class next week
- THURSDAY CLASS: No class next week; meet me during office hours or schedule appt (5pts.)
challenging traditional modes of argument
WHAT IS INVITATIONAL SPEAKING?
A type of public speaking in which a speaker enters a dialogue with the audience
Biggest priority is to understand and appreciate different positions, even if they are different from your own
Persuasion's goal = Agreement ; Invitational's goal = Exploration
Go to Invitational Speech Guidelines
- Equality: All perspectives are equally valid
- Value: All perspectives have inherent value
- Self-Determination: Everyone is an expert in their own life and can make their own decisions
- Use "I" language
- Ask questions
HOW TO ORGANIZE YOUR SPEECH
What is in an introduction?
How to organize the body
What is in a conclusion
Go to 'Outline Requirements' & 'Sample Invitational Speech Outline'
WHAT ABOUT DELIVERY?
Go to 'Invitational Speech Evaluation'
CHOOSE GROUPS & TOPICS & APPOINTMENT TIME