Catskill Regional Medical Center Chief Executive Officer, Jonathan Schiller
We value the health of each of our employees and want to provide an environment in which you can thrive. We are committed to fostering a culture of health in our workplace, where healthy choices are the easiest choices. Because Catskill Regional is the sole community hospital in Sullivan County, a County that is ranked near the bottom of New York State in regards to health status indicators, we are making positive changes to food and beverages in our vending, cafes, meetings, and events.
We have an opportunity to embrace healthy behaviors and lead by example for the residents of Sullivan County, our patients and their families. Catskill Regional has an active Wellness & Spirit Committee, is a member of the Cornell Cooperative Extension Workplace Wellness initiative and has pledged to comply with the American Heart Association’s Guidelines for a Healthy Workplace by 2020.
Some of the changes we can be proud of include:
- Increasing use of local products.
- Increasing plant-based and whole grain options that are high in dietary fiber.
- Increasing skim and low fat dairy options.
- Promotion of a super food in our café each month with recipe ideas selected by registered dietitians.
- Reducing salt, sugar and fat in the food & beverages provided and sold on campus including eliminating deep fried foods.
- Replacing unhealthy vending machine items with healthier options.
- Offering infused water at meetings and events and acquiring a water bottle filling station to be installed by year end.
- Eliminating sugar sweetened bottle beverages, as they are the leading source of added sugar in the American diet and play a significant role in our obesity and diabetes epidemics. (Please note; ginger ale will still be available for patient comfort, and employees are not restricted from bringing in the beverages of their choice for personal consumption.)
We are among some of the largest and well-known healthcare facilities to make a pledge to lead our community in healthier options. Other hospitals include: Cleveland Clinic, Baylor Health Care System, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, University of Michigan Hospital, Geisinger Health System and many others. More importantly, we are living up to our organization’s mission of improving the health of our community. Please feel free to bring any questions or concerns to the Catskill Regional Wellness & Spirit Committee meeting which meets on the last Friday of every month at 12:30pm in the Catskill Regional library on the Harris Campus.
American Heart Association Healthy Workplace Guidelines: https://www.heart.org/en/professional/workplace-health
Robert Wood Johnson County Health Rankings: http://www.countyhealthrankings.org