1. We are pretty lazy. Always looking for the next invention coming along to make our lives easier. Trying new things and seeing how you like them is a regular thing in our community. It doesn't take much to sell a fly fisherman on a new tool to help them be more successful. So yes, we are pretty lazy. But, we are lazy in our own peculiar way.
2. We like to grow our own scarves. Well, not all of us. But you won't find a whole lot of us clean shaved on a daily basis. With a sort of a "mountain man" type feel, we like to be one with the nature and with the water. We know we are dirty and we know we smell bad. But, we also know that we were on a hot streak today and aren't showering until we go cold.
"Things fishermen know about Trout aren't facts, but articles of faith." ~ John Gierach
3. Carmex is definitely not for our lips. We aren't ones for moisturized lips and soft baby hands. It's hard to grip a fly box with creamy, lotion-y hands. We use Carmex to keep our rod eyelets and reel from freezing. Not your standard way, but in our eyes, we are inventors.
4. We love to read. Whether it's reading a river, reading what the fish are eating, or reading up on new amusing fly fishing stories, we enjoy reading. There's nothing like reading a riffle perfect and dialing up the money fly to nail a fish. It's an art.
"The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!" ~Reg Baird
5. We respect and protect our water. Nature and the wild is a happy place for us. Specifically the beautiful stretches of water, but also the amazing scenery and animals surrounding them. You could call us environmental freaks and that's okay. We believe in preserving what we love.
6. We are as optimistic as they come. Even after the worst days on the water, your 8 hour days without even a bite, we always seem to have an open mind for the next day. All it takes is one tug on the line. Maybe it was a rock, maybe a fish, but in our eyes it was the 6 pound Buick you'd been searching for. We are addicted to tight lines and good vibes, that's what keeps us coming back.
"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago." ~Zane Grey
7. Hand-tied flies are currency to us. When you're on the river with a bunch of guys you don't know, one simple things brings you all together. Sitting around the fire, drinking whatever you may desire, hand tied flies can get you some real gems. Anything from the locals, made local, or made with amazing precision is widely respected in our community. We believe in the bartering system, trading our hard work for others alike.
8. We are our own brand of people and that's how we like it. We love what we love, there's no way around it. We aren't around much, we have trouble showing up for work, or finding significant others. But the feeling you get being in the middle of a river, water running by, with a net full of trout is like no other. We cover all parts of the world. Although we have our differences, one common desire brings us all together.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau