Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony🎄
Javelina Nation was excited to attend the annual tree lighting ceremony on Tuesday, November 27. This year's event featured TAMUK music students and was the final lighting celebration where President Tallant had the honor of turning on the lights. In case you missed it, watch event highlights in the video below.
Farewell President Tallant
Multiple farewell receptions have been held for President Tallant. Tallant is retiring after serving as Texas A&M University-Kingsville president for 10 years. He became the university's 19th president in 2008 and has led the university through years of unprecedented growth and development. He is the third-longest serving president in university history.
Just a few of his accomplishments during his tenure as president include:
- A surge in enrollment, growing by nearly 30%
- In 2015, TAMUK was named the fastest-growing four-year doctoral institution in the nation
- Student retention rates increased by more than 10%
- Campus construction, renovations and beautification projects during Tallant's administration total more than $200 million
- Expanded academic offerings, adding 15 new programs including two doctoral degrees, eight master's degrees and five bachelor's degrees
- Four engineering programs received ABET and ATMAE accreditation
- The College of Business Administration earned AACSB accreditation
- Tallant led the efforts of a groundbreaking Premont Alliance, a partnership which the university provided academic support, training and mentorship to students, teachers and district board members
Mariachi Javelina Wins at Competition
Mariachi Javelina placed 2nd at the 24th Annual Mariachi Vargas Extravaganza National Group Competition in San Antonio.
"The students worked incredibly hard for this event these past several months and I'm proud of what they have been able to accomplish," Dr. Veronica Salinas Lopez, Assistant Professor of Strings, and Director of Mariachi Javelina said.
Adult Education Degree Program Named One of Top in the Nation
The online master’s degree program in adult education at Texas A&M University-Kingsville has been named one of the best in the nation by OnlineMasters.com. Read more at the link below.
Donations for Javelina CARE Pantry
Children from the Marc Cisneros Center for Young Children stopped by the MSUB to deliver their donations to the Javelina CARE pantry.
The pantry was created to aid currently enrolled students at Texas A&M University-Kingsville in the event of a short-term food and/or hygiene shortage.
Students from the TAMUK music program performed a Christmas concert on Thursday, November 29.