White House History
In 1791 George Washington selected the site for the White House. The Cornerstone was laid in 1792 and a competition design submitted by Irish-born architect James Hoban was chosen. The British set fire to The White House in 1812. In 1817 President James Monroe moved into the White House. In 1902 President Theodore Roosevelt began a major renovation of the White House, including the relocation of the president's offices.
The East room
The East Room is located on the Residence first floor. the East room is the largest room in The White House. There is George Washington's picture, 24 chairs, and a piano in The East Room.
The Red Room
The Red Room is located on the Residence first floor. The walls are covered by a red twill satin fabric with a gold scroll design in the border. The furniture in The Red Room dates from the years 1810-1830. There is a fireplace, carpet, drapes, and a french empire chandelier in The Red Room.
The Oval Office
the Oval Office is located in the West Wing. The desk was made from wood taken from the ship HMS Resolute and was given to president Rutherford Hayes by Queen Victoria of England in 1880. There are flags, a carpet, drapes, pictures, couches, chairs, and the presidents desk in the Oval Office.
Fun Facts About The White House
- The White House requires 570 gallons of paint to cover it's outside surface
- The White House kitchen is able to serve dinner to as many as 140 guests
- There are 132 rooms, 35 bathrooms, and 6 levels in the Residence
- It has been known as the "President's House", "President's Palace", and the "Executive Mansion"
- There are 412 doors, 147 windows, 28 fireplaces, 8 staircases, and 3 elevators