In 1791 George Washington selected the site by the white house. And in 1792 was when the first cornerstone laid for the building.Also in 1800 president John Adams moved into the white house with his wife, Abigail, Into the unfinished house. During the war in 1812, the British set fire to the presidents house in 1814
Jackie Kennedy Garden
Edith Carrow Roosevelt who had established her colonial garden on the site of the present rose garden a simaler planting on the east side and it was the Jackie kennedy garden.The garden was built April 22, 1965 outside of the White house. Mrs. Lady Bird Johnson continued the gardens restoration plans approved by president and Mrs. Kennedy and the national park service. The east garden was also dedicated by Johnson as the Jacalene Kennedy garden on April 22 1665. This work on the garden was not completed in full until after the first lady had already died in 1913.