- Denial: Superman takes away his powers, and Lex counters that he has more of the power-giving serum
- Bargaining: Superman steals this vial, and Lex shouts for him to give it back
- Anger: “If it wasn’t for you, I could have saved the world!”
- Depression: Lex falls to his knees and gives a look of despair
- Acceptance: Lex realizes he could have saved the world at any time
Before his death, Superman is authentic with Lois, gives her a perfect day, saves the last of his people, hopes to see kin take his place, finishes new inventions. He is ready to die without any regrets.
Similarly, Lex is accepting of his death, as long as he can kill Superman before his death, thus having no regrets or unfinished business.