Portfolio tyler Dennis

This project purpose was to create an operating cannon that can turn and move to different angles to fire a ball in a set distance. We worked on the different components of the cannon for about 5 months. It all started with arduino

We stared this journey with the Arduino, we started off learning the components and how it worked. We learned how circuits worked and made many circuits using 123dcircuits. Using the arduino we are able to control many different components with a small computer giving it simple commands. We can make a music player, a auto light switch, etc. For the Arduino we had to complete a booklet of 12 basic circuits to prove our understanding

Below there are examples of circuits made

Once we completed the Arduino aspect, we got in the starting point of our canon designs. We started out brain storming the basic idea for the cannon. We started with the base. We first came up with the idea for a sentry gun type base. That idea eventually evolved into something entirely different. We came up with the idea of using stakes with spikes that sit in the ground

One we decided what we were going to do, we made barrel supports to figure out how to hold up and support the cannon. We needed a sturdy design that would work out side and fire a ball a considerable distance with consistent accuracy.

Once we printed the barrel supports we began thinking about the full design for the actual cannon. We had to have a design that had adjustable angles and be able to spin and be stable. We made a design that seemed pretty good in theory and we a good for the terrain we were working on.

That is the basic design on the stakes that go into the ground and hold the cannon down. These spikes also manage recoil.

We also need a way to hold every thing up and chose to use dows. Dows would hold up the cannon and allow use to change the angles. We slide them in holes pre cut in the design. They are the sturdy support of the entire cannon

We began working on the pipe system we had some issue with it due to the fact we sealed on the cap too early. SO we had to scrap our barrel supports

Before we went to print on the shot bot we had some issues with the measurements and we didn't want to messed so we continued to change measurement and it delayed progress

When putting it all together we had run out of time so as an improvisation we used duct tape to finish it all togethor

During outside testing it seemed our cannon shot much further then most of the other cannons. although our design wasn't the best and the appearances was mediocre it still worked exactly as expected.

This is a graphic of the testing we did with our cannon. We shot a total of 9 times on 3 different angles firing a considerable distance each time, even in bad weather.

Conclusion: Looking back on our progress we spent lots of time fooling around and due to the fact of scheduling issues. If we had spent more time working on more the fine details on the projects and the smaller components our design would be a lot better. Issues came up when we sealed the cap on the pipes and couldn't fix it. overall the initial design worked as plan it just had some issues we didn't account for and didn't have the time to fix in class. If we took more time out of class we probably could have improved our design to make it a lot better and work out all of the kinks. We also needed to stay more focused and try not to go for the easy ways out

"hey,thats preety good." - idubbbz

Made with Adobe Slate

Make your words and images move.

Get Slate

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.