Formula Femme is a New York-based amateur track team focused on strengthening the women's field at our local velodrome and inspiring more women to try racing.
Born out of FWOD Brooklyn, a weekly women’s-only social bike ride, we started Formula Femme in 2015 to shake up the world of track racing in NYC.
We’re a tight-knit group with diverse backgrounds, from full-time couriers to daily commuters. We’re active throughout the cycling community: you can find us riding in alleycat street races, organizing bike camping trips and long rides upstate, touring across the country - or just across town for ice cream.
Formula Femme started after a simple conversation at one of our weekly FWOD rides. One woman expressed an interest in trying track racing, and before we knew it, we had ten women who wanted to start a team.
We had no idea where to begin - most of us had never even competed in a sanctioned race before. At the time, only three of us had track-legal bikes. We may have been overly optimistic at first considering we we starting from the ground up, but with hard work, the help of our amazing local community, and women's cycling supporters across the country, we scraped together a team.
Our work on and off the track has inspired other teams to take a renewed interest in women's track racing and given junior women racers a future field to look forward to.
- Grow women’s track racing in NYC by ensuring there’s a full field in each race and strong competition at all levels;
- Help our local cycling community through clinics, volunteering, and fundraising to make racing and cycling more accessible, especially to women;
- Open up new doors to women in cycling, whether that’s a first race, first bike tour, or first century ride.
accomplishments in 2016
From April to August, we competed in over 30 days of sanctioned racing in 2016 at Kissena, our local velodrome in Queens, and at The Velodrome in Trexlertown, which draws the best riders from the area.
- New York State Track Championships, Silver Medal
- New York State Track Champions in Team Sprints
- Omnium win and places at The Velodrome in Trexlertown
- Assistant coached of Star Track, a youth-oriented racing program
- Helped causes we're passionate about, including a women's health supply drive and fundraiser ride for the ASPCA