This is our last post for 2016! Check back in January for our next edition of This Week in Our Schools!
Scroll down to see our students and staff in action, This Week in Our Schools!
Featured this week:
- Colorado Elementary: Mrs. Dalbey and Mrs. Noll's Classes.
- Franklin Elementary: Mrs. Calderon and Mrs. Meyers' English Learning Classes.
- Franklin Elementary: Student Leadership Team.
- Franklin Elementary: Mrs. Weeks' 5th Grade Class.
- Franklin Elementary: Mrs. Holder's 5th Grade Art Class.
- Grant Elementary: Ms. Sulzberger/Mrs. Dusenberry's 1st Grade Class.
- Grant Elementary: Annual Student-led Craft Fair!
- Grant Elementary: Mrs. Pauls' 4th Grade Class.
- Jefferson Elementary: Mrs. Kisner's Preschool Class.
- Jefferson Elementary: Mrs. Randleman's 3rd Grade Class.
- Madison Elementary: Mrs. Eserhaut's P.E. Classes.
- Madison Elementary: Preschool Class.
- Madison Elementary: 4th Grade Math Class.
- Mulberry Elementary: Mrs. Green's Kindergarten Class.
- Mulberry Elementary: Mr. Carlson's 3rd Grade Class.
- Mulberry Elementary: Finley News.
- CMS: Orchestra Holiday Concert.
- CMS: Mr. Edkin's 8th Grade Automation & Robotics Class.
- CMS: Mrs. Calderon's English Learning Class.
- CMS: Mrs. Mrosko and Mrs. Haight's Classes.
- CMS: Culture Fair.
- CMS: Mrs. Christenson's 7th Grade ELA Class.
- CMS: Mrs. Moeller's 7th Grade Honors Math Class.
- CMS: Rock Orchestra.
- WMS: Mr. Yerington's 6th Grade Science Class.
- WMS: 7th & 8th Grade Musically-Gifted Students with J.M. James.
- WMS: Mrs. Matteson's 6th Grade ELA Class.
- WMS: 6th Graders and the Quad City Mallards!
- MHS: Ms. Phillips' ESL Class.
- MHS: Muskie Band News.
- MHS: Boys' Basketball News.
- District-Wide Staff: Mulberry Teachers.
- District-Wide Staff: School Board Members Earn Award.
- District-Wide Staff: Colorado Building Leadership Team.
Students in Mrs. Dalbey and Mrs. Noll's classes enjoy Friday Learning Buddies.
Students in Mrs. Calderon and Mrs. Meyers' English Learning classes made snowflakes for the winter season.
Franklin's Student Leadership Team has been busy! They sold candy cane grams to raise money for their school and collected coats for those children in need this winter.
In Mrs. Weeks' 5th grade class, students recently finished learning about the different systems in the human body in science. As a final project students chose a body system and made a life-sized poster for each system. Students had to research where each organ is located, it's function, and what it looks like. Each poster has the main organs in each system along with their functions and the function of the system.
Franklin 5th graders in Mrs. Holder's art class used liquid watercolors and oil pastels to create some vibrant trees to get ready for the holidays!
Students in Ms. Sulzberger/Mrs. Dusenberry's 1st grade class take turns reading to their classmates daily!
Grant Elementary held it's third annual student-led craft fair last Friday, 12/9/16. The craft fair was hosted by the Student Leadership Team. Students made handmade items such as gifts, decor, trading items, and baked goods. All items were either made by students themselves or with the help of a family member. Over 85 students participated this year. The participants raised $2153.32, which was donated to Grant School! In the past, funds have been used to purchase new bike racks and a drinking fountain. The Student Leadership Team will meet to decide how to spend the proceeds. Thank you to all of our community shoppers!
Indoor recess can be hard - especially when it lasts all week! But these Grant 4th graders in Mrs. Pauls' class are making the best of it!
Preschoolers in Mrs. Kisner's class had fun decorating gingerbread cookies!
Students in Mrs. Randleman's 3rd grade class wore "ugly" sweaters for participation in Jefferson's Ugly Sweater Contest!
4th graders learn the importance of mathematical representations and note taking in Math!
Gingerbread men were loose in Mulberry this week! Mulberry kindergarteners made their annual gingerbread man cookies only to find that they had escaped from the oven!! After a search around the schools, the cookies were found back in the kindergarten classrooms! Pictured below are students in Mrs. Green's class.
Mr. Carlson's 3rd grade built their own thermometers to observe how water contracts and expands with changes in temperature.
Finley received his first Christmas present! Mulberry 4th grader, Moices Garcia, saw the article about Finley in the "Voice of Muscatine," and cut it out and framed it for him! In return, Finley gave him a big sloppy kiss! Thanks, Moices!
CENTRAL MIDDLE SCHOOL
CMS Orchestra Students presented their Holiday Concert on Tuesday. One of the highlights of the concert was the premier of a piece written by 7th grade viola player, Zane Brockert. Not only did he compose an amazing piece, he even conducted at the concert!
Students in Mr. Edkin's 8th grade Automation & Robotics class built and raced cars in robotics.
Central Middle School hosted the 7th grade Culture Fair. Students took an in depth look at countries around the world and became tour guides for parents, staff, and community members.
Here are 7th Grade ELA students in Mrs. Christensen's class at the Culture Fair. Students selected a country to research, then they created artifacts and presentations to teach their classmates, teachers, families, and community members about their countries.
Mrs. Moeller's 7th grade honors math students participated in a scavenger hunt to review finding missing angle measures. The scavenger hunt sent students around Central Middle School. The students solve a problem on the wall outside of a designated classroom. If they get the problem correct, it sends them to another room with a second problem. If not, it sends them to a room with no problem outside the room and they have to go back to the original room to compute the correct answer. They continue this pattern until they have complete all of the problems and end up back at the room they began the scavenger hunt.
On Friday CMS Rock Orchestra students played holiday music for area nursing home residents and businesses around town.
WEST MIDDLE SCHOOL
Students in Mr. Yerington’s 6th grade science class sorted rocks as they learned about weathering, erosion and the different sizes of rock particles.
7th & 8th grade students at WMS who are gifted musically had the chance Wednesday to work with musician J.M. James on composing music. J.M. James is a singer/songwriter out of Nashville. They worked on writing their own lyrics and creating a melody with these lyrics. Students came up with amazing, creative ideas!
Sixth graders in Ms. Matteson's ELA classes have been studying author's purpose and author's point of view. They worked with partners to match textual examples with each option of author's purpose, and they played the game Memory with author's point of view game pieces.
All sixth grade students who met their book report requirements for the first semester got to participate in an afternoon of fun with three players from the Quad City Mallards. The players answered questions about reading, school, growing up, and hockey, and the students each got a chance to show off their hockey skills in front of the experts.
MUSCATINE HIGH SCHOOL
ESL high school students in Ms. Phillips' class decorated the ESL classroom and organized a wide variety of Christmas activities in their classes.