How to Request Captions
The process is simple. Any UTSA faculty member may request captions. Priority will be given to high-impact course content that can be reused or content that has difficult/technical jargon that is not easily recognized in automated captions.
- To request captioning support, please visit the Captioning Support Request form below (under Request Caption Support Now) .
- If your request is approved Digital Accessibility will contact you with the steps for the captioning project.
- After receiving the captioned video(s), faculty can update their instructional resources.
Please read prior to completing the request form:
- Please be aware that the last day to submit a request for the Spring Captioning Support is May 4th or when funds are exhausted.
- Once a completed form has been received, it will be reviewed by the Digital Accessibility Team and you will be notified of the decision within 5 business days. If your request is approved, we will email you with next steps.
- If you have any additional questions about the form or the captioning support process, please contact DigitalAccessibility@utsa.edu.
Request Captions Now!
Note: You must use your UTSA credentials to access the application.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Captioning?
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 defines captions as, "synchronized visual and/or text alternative for both speech and non-speech audio information needed to understand the media content."
After an application is approved, what is the captioning process?
- Upload your videos to Panopto (if applicable)
- Submit your list of videos using our Video List Template (please make a copy of the template before editing)
- The Digital Accessibility Team will order captions with a 10 business day turnaround
- Faculty will receive a notification from Digital Accessibility when the captioning process is completed
How will the videos be captioned?
Depending on the video, we will request captions through our 3rd party vendor or our student caption editors. Captions will be requested through a 3rd party captioning vendor in conjunction with Panopto or completed by our student caption editors no cost to you or your department.
Do my videos need to be in Panopto prior to completing the request form?
No, however, you will be asked to move your videos to Panopto if your request is approved.
How long will it take to review my request?
Once a completed form has been received, it will be reviewed by the Digital Accessibility Team and you will be notified of the decision within 5 business days. If your are approved, we will email you with next steps.
If my request has been approved, how long will it take my video(s) to be captioned?
If your request has been approved we will contact you with further instructions. Once captioning has been requested by the Digital Accessibility Team there is a 10 business day turnaround time for captioning to be completed.