Who are angels?
- ○ Heb. 1:14 - ministering spirits to Christians
- ○ Psa. 91:11 - protectors
- ○ Psa. 103:20; 148:2; Isa. 6:1-6; Rev. 7:11 - worshippers of God
- ○ Matt. 18:10 - protectors of the little ones
- ○ Matt. 25:41 - There are bad angels (have choice to follow God or rebel). And there are consequences to the disobedience of angels (2 Peter 2:4; Jude 1:6).
- ○ Mark 13:27 - gathers the elect at the end of time
- ○ Luke 2:8; John 20:12 - proclaimers of good news (Jesus is here!)
- ○ 1 Cor. 6:3; 1 Peter 1:12 - Humans have more authority, a more privileged position.
- ○ Col. 2:18 - not to be worshipped
- ○ Heb. 2:5 - Angels have less authority than Jesus.
- ○ Heb. 2:16 - Jesus didn't come to save angels.
- ○ Heb. 13:2 - can take on different disguises as they interact with humans
Jesus is Greater Than...
- Jesus is greater than the prophets.1:1–3
- Jesus is greater than the angels.1:4–14; 2:5
- Jesus is greater than Moses.3:1–6
- Jesus is greater than Joshua.4:6–11
- Jesus is greater than the Aaronic high priests.5:1–10; 7:26–8:2
- Jesus is greater than the Levitical priests.6:20–7:25
- Jesus as the high priest in the order of Melchizedek is greater than Abraham.7:1–10
- Jesus’ ministry is greater than the tabernacle ministry.8:3–6; 9:1–28
- Jesus’ new covenant is greater than the old covenant.8:7–13
- Jesus’ sacrifice is greater than the OT sacrifices.10:1–14
- Experiencing Jesus is greater than the experience on Mount Sinai.12:18–24
Hebrews 7:26 - "Such a high priest meets our need–one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens."
Hebrews 10:10 - "And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all."
Hebrews 10:12-14 - "But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God. Since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool, because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy."