Premiere Pro What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?

Above; Premiere Pro

For our final piece, I was responsible for constructing a final edit. As I mention in my other technologies post, I completed this using Adobe Premiere Pro. I will now explain how I used the editing software at various points in the final piece. Below I have uploaded our final piece and I will refer to time codes from this video, along with screenshots.

0:07
0:09

Between 0:05 and 0:15, there is a cut between shots and title. As I talk about in my conventions post, here I wanted to challenge the convention in a lot of modern zombie films where the titles are integrated into the actual images. This actually made editing much easier as the process involved was simply placing each clip in a consequential series. See below for a screenshot for my editing work.

A screenshot of my editing of this sequence.

The opening (kitchen scene) was more complex to edit in terms of sound. It was my intention to have audio cues that would trigger the titles - this stylistic approach would follow the same style of narrative presentation that director Edgar Wright adopts; this is seen in Shaun of the Dead (2004). In order to accomplish this, I used the volume controls to manipulate how the sound comes through in this scene. In addition, the radio show audio track was required to stop playing when the radio's button in pressed. This meant that, with the audio track playing before, I had to also try and fit in enough footage to enable enough of the radio show to be heard in the background. This element of editing meant I had to cut down certain pieces of footage and sound files in order to accommodate for the duration of the project and account for synchronization. Whilst having to account for duration, the shot was intended to be match on action, meaning that a timing was even more necessary to accomplish accuracy here in order to avoid continuity errors.

A match on action shot was edited together here; the radio show sound file also cuts in sync with the press of the button. (0:22)
A screenshot of just before the car enters the frame.

The editing of the titles remains very similarly, as to sustain the style of presentation, up until around 0:57. Here there is a new shot that will become the pivotal car crash scene. In this sequence, I needed to edit two separate pieces of footage together (the protagonist crossing the road and the car driving past). Editing these two together constructs the illusion that the protagonist has been struck by a car.

Just prior to the impact (1:04)

To accomplish the desired effect, I mapped out the area on screen of the direction of travel the protagonist takes. I then cut this area back to a minimum and turned this section of footage in to a mask. By doing this, I have therefore neutralized the surrounding area of the footage. The next step is to apply the mask to the footage of the car driving past. By applying the mask accurately in the correct area of the shot, and by further adjusting the opacity of the both pieces of footage so that they do not conflict with each other, the car can be seen to approach the protagonist at a fatal speed. Next, simply, the base footage and mask need to be cut back so that the mask is not revealed to be placed on top of the base. I cut the footage back to the closest point the car can be seen approaching the protagonist as to avoid compromising the mask and still creating an impacting shot.

Creating a mask.

The cut to black was intended to show that time has passed. By cutting straight back to the character waking up immediately would have taken away from the effect of the impact. The first few shots are relatively long as to capture the character coming to and also getting a good look at the zombie. (1:08 - 1:27)

For the following chase sequence however, I selected a specific sequence of events and cut them down, placing them in the timeline in order to create an action filled fast cut. The editing in this sequence is paramount as to convey an the emotion of panic felt by the character and is designed to work with the soundtrack. (1:28 - 1:56)

Finally, all that was required was to insert the final main title. In order to differentiate the main title from the other credits I imported a file from AfterEffects (that another member of my group had produced) and inserted it to overlap the final shot. I then used the opacity controls and mapped out how the opacity of the title would increase towards the end of the opening sequence. I timed this to coordinate with the animation in the AfterEffects file meaning that the title can be seen before it floods with red. (2:03 - 2:09)

The titles fade in (2:04)

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.