A Note From Dr. Obado
We are entering quite a time this summer. We know that many of you are still trying decide if At-Home or In-Person learning suits your family. The entire band staff understands that our community's level of concern varies from family to family. Student and staff safety is critical for every marching band rehearsal and event. You can participate in the band program in many different ways. While In-Person learning will involve traditional in-person classes and a required participation in marching band, the At-Home Learning option provides flexibility. If you have chosen At-Home Learning as your option, you will be able to either (1) continue your band class with synchronous and asynchronous opportunities from home, (2) continue your band class at home while participating in the marching band, or (3) come to in-person instruction just for your band class and participate in the marching band. We are asking every student to complete and submit the "Marching Band Intent Form" below. This will help us in the planning process for the marching band program.
The Allen Eagle Escadrille is an organization that represents the Allen Independent School District at local, state, and national levels. We believe in inclusion and community with a relentless pursuit of excellence in all we do. That said, this Escadrille season will look very different. Decisions were made to keep the integrity of inclusion, community and excellence within the framework of a safe, accommodating, and nurturing experience for everyone. We have made changes to our rehearsal schedules and logistical procedures to create safe learning environments. In addition we reduced our fees to make participating in band this year a little easier. Here are safety precautions we are taking for the marching band programs:
- All marching band rehearsals/performances will be outdoors. Percussion & Color Guard are currently indoors in 6ft-10ft spacing with face coverings on the entire rehearsal. These indoor spaces are very large (Band Hall, LFC Outdoor Adventures Room, etc.)
- Daily health screening required (paperwork turned in ONCE on the first day of summer rehearsal). Temperature checks at summer band.
- We will rehearse in 10-foot spacing during summer band rehearsals. As of July 24, UIL is requiring the 10-foot spacing in rehearsals.
- Face coverings will be required for arrival, dismissal, breaks, and when we alternate playing instruments at rehearsal. (In rehearsals we will alternate playing to reduce aerosol production). Exploring the requirement of special face-masks that have openings for mouthpieces for outdoor rehearsals and performances.
- Exploring the requirement of special face-masks, bell covers, woodwind covers/bags for indoor rehearsals and performances.
- Face coverings will be highly recommended when we are not playing at rehearsal in 10-ft spacing.
- No shared instruments. No shared water (students must bring LOTS of water to marching band rehearsal).
- Hand sanitizer will be available at all rehearsal sites.
- To make rehearsals smaller and more manageable this summer, we have split the brass/woodwinds in half and will alternate rehearsal days and will rehearse on two separate fields. See the specific schedule by clicking on the "Summer Band Rehearsal Schedule" below.
- All students will report to the same "cohort group" every day. Each cohort group has a maximum number of 15 students. While the cohort groups are in the context of a larger group, each cohort group is separated with more space between other cohort groups and will stay together from the beginning of rehearsal to the end of rehearsal (including breaks).
- Regular and intentional breaks to "air out" the rehearsal area from lingering aerosols.
- Marching Band uniforms eliminated to avoid close changing areas.
- When school begins, we will move morning rehearsals to Tues./Thurs. evenings to avoid close changing areas and bus transportation for freshmen to LFC. (Information forthcoming on excusing weeknight athletic/activity conflicts).
The five links below summarize this entire newsletter. If you continue to scroll to the next two pages, you can read more details regarding summer band rehearsals and registration. Regardless of your intent on band, we are asking all students to complete and submit the "Marching Band Intent Form" located in the box below. As usual, don't hesitate contacting me if you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org