Loading

Self-Improvement Tips

In honor of National Self-Improvement Month take this moment to celebrate yourself and all that you have accomplished. Challenge yourself and set goals to improve areas you have been wanting to for some time. No matter how big or small your goals are, here are some tips to get you started this fall.

1. Make Healthier Choices

We should all live for today but what about tomorrow? Small changes in your diets can make all the difference. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Americans eat less than the recommended amounts of vegetables, fruits, whole-grains, dairy products, and oils. It’s not always easy to eat healthily when you are busy and on the move but implementing an 80/20 rule is a good place to start. Try eating healthy 80% of the time. The other 20% doesn’t have to be perfect. Little changes like eating an apple instead of a bag of potato chips with your sandwich are going to make a huge difference in the long term.

2. Find a Hobby

Learning something new requires patience and courage. Finding a hobby doesn’t mean you need to be good at it or master it. Hobbies are something you enjoy and are meant to push your boundaries. Try different activities like reading, cooking, taking an art class or learning how to swim to see what works for you. Having a hobby will help you stay busy, feel recharge and experience a sense of accomplishment.

Challenge yourself and look at registering for workshops and online courses to sharpen your skillset, or learn something new like a new software program. Whatever you choose, find an outlet where you can express your creativity and freedom of choice.

3. Travel More

Take on the adventure of planning small trips, and go to cities and see places you’ve never been to before – safely of course. Self-improvement is about pushing boundaries, so get going! Traveling allows you to escape the stress of everyday life. Discover and learn different cultures, see beautiful iconic landmarks and experience the beauty this world has to offer. This can be a road trip or a trip to Eastern Europe (assuming borders are open for you). Going to a different environment can be a positive experience and taking in scenic views can give you a sense of peace you’ve been craving.

4. Inspire Others

A great way to improve yourself is to help others along the way. When you focus energy on helping others reach their potential and dreams, you will reap the benefits and accomplish more than just helping someone else. One way is to volunteer as it will humble you and allow you to find a purpose outside your everyday activities. More importantly, you will learn a few things about yourself and you’ll find that the gift of giving is the best gift of all time.

5. Adjust Goals

Take time to reflect on your own growth and see your progress and where you might need to adjust. Evaluate your goals and cut back on what is not working. It may help to get a second opinion and get new ideas on how to achieve your objectives. Turn new ideas into new strategies and learn how you can be more efficient in achieving your goals. Change is hard but to get moving in the right direction it is necessary.

6. Be Your Authentic Self

Start today to be yourself and love who you are.

Don’t allow pressures from the traditional media, social media and peers make you feel inferior. Learn to let go of what’s outside of your control by focusing on what you can control. Instead of asking yourself what you don’t have, ask yourself what you do have and be grateful for them. Stay confident even if life has thrown out curveballs. Those twists and turns in life will only make you stronger and self-worth always pays off in the end.

There’s no wrong way to improve yourself as long as you’re happy with the end results.Working towards the best version of yourself doesn’t happen overnight. It’s an investment that takes time, focus, and dedication but the benefits will be worth it. I hope this month inspires and motivates you to take positive steps towards your goals.

There’s no better time than today to create your best self.

Created By
Savy Huynh
Appreciate

Credits:

Created with images by Jacqueline Munguía - "Happy face signal. " • Anna Pelzer - "Vegan salad bowl" • Jeswin Thomas - "untitled image" • Timo Stern - "untitled image" • Anna Earl - "untitled image" • AbsolutVision - "Things to do" • Nick Fewings - "On holiday in Florence (Firenze), Tuscany, Italy, where there was a lot of street art and graffiti, however most of it was extremely good, including this simple one that, to me, tells a powerful and strong story." • Chase Clark - "Nah"