with a rich history, the ps Oscar w is used today for charters and cruising
the 2015 south Australian wooden boat festival
crowds flock outside the Goolwa riverboat centre to take a look on board the mighty ps Oscar w
the ps Oscar w setting off at sunrise
the steam train is still a regular part of Goolwa life, transporting tourists along the coast and into the Adelaide hills
the Goolwa wharf precinct today hosts art exhibitions and galleries, festivals, live music, bars, cafes, museums and an array of tour opportunities
the hindmarsh island bridge, building commenced in 1999, it was opened in 2001
the popular 'at the wharf' event Is an occasion for people to meet, eat, drink and enjoy some live music
The fortnightly Goolwa wharf market
the biennial south Australian wooden boat festival draws a crowd from near and far
south Australian wooden boat festival 2011
the Goolwa wharf precinct today as a place to eat, meet and enjoy the river
There's always something 'at the wharf'
when NAVIGATION OF THE MURRAY RIVER WAS ACCOMPLISHED IN 1851, AND AN IMMEDIATE START WAS MADE TO THE CONSTRUCTION OF A RAILWAY TO LINK THIS RIVER PORT TO PORT ELLIOT. THIS WAS COMPLETED IN 1854 AND EXTENDED TO VICTOR HARBOR IN 1864
the original wharf was built in 1852 on the recommendation of governor sir henry fox young. it was extended in 1866, DEMOLISHED AND REBUILT IN 1874 AND EXTENDED AGAIN IN 1878.
fishing was a lucrative trade of the area, as this haul of coorong mulloway suggests
The rail tracks from port Elliot entered the wharf at right angles and turntables on the wharf were used to swing wagons parallel to the moored steamers and barges
PEAK USE OF THE WHARF FOR CARGO HANDLING WAS BETWEEN 1878 AND 1884
grain and wool were among the most common cargo from up river
the Goolwa wharf, a hub for passenger vessels as well as cargo
the steam train and paddle steamers, meet at the wharf. the old railway goods shed, built in 1879 and sited with the railway track running through the centre is now the fleurieu distillery
the wharf shed, built in 1877-78
the wharf shed was built in 1877-78 and remained virtually unchanged in its appearance until the 1990s. it is now used as the Goolwa riverboat centre as an exhibition space and booking office for the ps Oscar w. This photo is circa 1880.
note the chart room in the background, it was part of Abraham graham's patent slip and iron works and used for storage of charts.