The eighth Secretary-General to the United Nations, serving from 2007 to 2016. His priorities have been to mobilize world-wide leaders by setting the global agenda, from climate change to economic turmoil. He oversaw the Global Recession of 2008, the Arab Springs in 2011 and the Climate Change Summit of 2014. Moon has been an exception influence in his field calling for the disarmament of nuclear missiles, ending women's suffrage and calling for peaceful negotiations in the Middle-East.
Talks on his possible future South Korean presidency, however, controversy persists over his liberal agenda due to his previous leadership presence at the UN.
Ban-Ki Moon BACKGROUND AND EDUCATION
FACTS ABOUT HIS YOUTH AND FAMILY:
- Born within the Republic of Korea on the 13th of June 1944. He saw the harrowing effects of World War 2 and the Korean War.
- Held office from 1st of January 2007 to 31st of December 2016. He was re-elected in 2011
- Before becoming Secretary-General --> Bachelor's in International Relations (1970) from Seoul National University and Master's degree in public administration from Harvard.
- UN (1975) Foreign Ministry United Nations Division then Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade for 37 years till he became the UN Secretary-General in 2007.
- Since 2007, Mrs Ban devoted her attention to women's and children's health, including autism, the Elimination of Violence against Women, and the campaign to prevent mother-to-child HIV/AIDS transmission (United Nations, 2007).