MACS Community Center Office is Now Open!
HVAC Projects Coming Soon!
We will be putting bids out for HVAC projects for Jones Intermediate School ad Mount Airy Middle School in the coming days and weeks. Please be on the lookout for those.
Seeking Principal for Jones Intermediate
- Mrs. Sherry Cox has accepted a position in another school district. While we are sad to see Mrs. Cox go, we support her decision and wish her all the best in her new endeavor.
- As we begin to search for the next Jones Intermediate Principal we seek input from our community of parents. We invite you to take a brief survey, located below, and provide us the key information needed in this process that identifies qualities you desire in our next administrator. Plans have been made to speak with students and staff to help us match the right candidate to the job of leading Jones Intermediate School.
- Mrs. Cox will have her last day at Jones on Friday, January 18. Beginning on Tuesday, January 22, Ms. Penny Willard will be interim principal and work with Curriculum Facilitator Amanda Robertson to keep Jones Intermediate running smoothly. We are blessed to have strong administrators who can work together during transition times. Please reach out to these leaders should you need anything over the next weeks.
Are You Ready for the 2019-2020 School Year?
- If you know of a family with a rising kindergartener, we ask that you tell them about the great education found in Mount Airy City Schools! Kindergarten Registration will be on Thursday, March 21 from 3:30-6:00pm. Mark you calendars for this exciting time!
- Registration packets are now available for pick-up at the front office of Tharrington Primary School. Parents may schedule their registration time then or call the school 336-789-9046.
One parent information night remains for those interested in learning more about the dual language immersion program. An English meeting and Spanish meeting will be held on Thursday, February 21. Spanish meeting begins at 5:30pm in the media center of Tharrington Primary. The English meeting will begin at 6:00pm.
If you are interested in touring Tharrington Primary, Jones Intermediate, Mount Airy Middle School, or Mount Airy High School, simply fill out the form below and someone from the school will contact you.
Student Services Impacts Houston
Substitute Training Scheduled
The year is rolling along and everyone is busy making the most of this school year while beginning to think about summer programming and the 2019-2020 school year!
- Friday, January 25 Play4Kay Basketball game at MAHS - Games begin at 4:00pm
- Monday, January 28-Friday, February 1 - The Great Kindness Challenge returns to MACS!
- Thursday, January 31 - Jones Intermediate School's STEAM Showcase 5:30pm
- Friday, February 1-Saturday, February 2 - Mars Hill Choral Festival
- Tuesday, February 5 - Substitute Training at the Community Central Office
- Tuesday, February 5 - A Preview for Preschoolers 6:00 pm (Event for Rising Kindergarteners) at Tharrington Primary School
- Tuesday, February 5 - Board of Education Meeting 6:30pm at Community Central Office
- Friday, February 15 - Student day (Make-up snow day)
- Thursday, February 21 - Last informational meeting for parents of rising kindergarteners who are interested in dual language immersion at BHT (Spanish meeting 5:30pm, English meeting 6:30pm) in the Media Center of Tharrington Primary
- Friday, February 22 - Early Release Day for all schools Jones/MAMS @ 11:15am, BHT/MAHS @ 11:30am
- Friday, February 22 and Saturday, February 23 - MAHS Musical
- Friday, February 28 - Last Change DLI Tour 9:00am
Mrs. Niston would like to recognize volunteers for their recent time at BHT. The BHT administration and staff would like to extend our sincere gratitude to each and every volunteer who offered assistance and support when Mrs. Carol Joyce passed away. During such a devastating time for our staff, it was comforting to know that so many people cared. Thank you to the Central Office Staff, parent volunteers, and community volunteers who gave of their time during this tremendous loss. We are extremely grateful!
Going the Extra Mile for Jones Intermediate goes to the entire staff for working together as a team during recent events, especially during the Holiday Family Fun Night and the recent Amber Alert issued for a Jones student. The willingness of staff members to pitch in and support the school is greatly appreciated.
MAMS wishes to recognized Garrett Howlett as he has worked to bring the RCR program to life for middle school students. He has helped provide race cars and a racing simulator to build interest and engagement within the program. He has spent many hours at MAMS setting up the new equipment and calibrating the 3D printer. We appreciate his investment in our CTE department.
Innovators of the Month
BHT would like to recognize Paula Dellenback and Latasha Hudson as this month’s innovators. With the new Ident-A-Kid system up and running, Mrs. Dellenback and Mrs. Hudson have worked diligently to ensure that the system is used effectively. Their patience and hard work is appreciated!
Jones Intermediate would like to recognize Adam Johnson for his innovation. His work in engaging students, community members, and MACS administration with his student learning through their diorama projects was a tremendous way to showcase the work happening in his room and our building. Mr. Johnson has also implemented a LEGO wall in his room where students are able to solve problems visually.
MAMS recognizes Mrs. Samantha Surratt as the school's innovator of the month. Mrs. Surratt is teaching an all new curriculum this year and has worked to effectively pace and plan instruction. Her work with all learning levels in 6th grade math is differentiated and tailored to all needs. She has worked to incorporate small group, teacher-led instruction into her math class. She is also streaming for Jones students in 5th grade. She is an advocate for her students and an excellent communicator with parents. She also works with a variety of support specialists to ensure the needs within her classroom are met.
MAHS recognized Mrs. Alicia Henson as their innovator of the month. Mrs. Henson is dedicated to serving the students and staff at MAHS. She is always willing to be available and work directly with our students regarding registration, career opportunities or to provide social and emotional support. She is exploring innovative ways to complete the registration process to ensure that our students have the right classes with the right teacher at the right time. MAHS appreciates Mrs. Henson for all that she does for our school.
Central Office recognizes Dr. Sandy George, Mr. Bryan Cox, and Mr. Justin Robertson as its Innovators of the Month. These individuals have worked numerous hours moving our staff into the new Community Central Office. We appreciate their expertise with operations, technology and all the intricate details it took to prepare for a migration from our old building to our new location.