About: History, Description, Mission
Smile Train Club is a service club founded for the purposes of raising awareness and fundraising for children with cleft palates around the world, especially in the remote areas where the families could not afford the reconstructive surgeries, which cost $250 each. Our mission is to provide those families with sufficient fund and support for the life-changing surgeries. In Smile Train Club, we believe that every small actions count and that together we can help a lot of kids.
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Nancy Hunt
Smile Train is an organization characterized by its dedication and commitment to children in need. Without fail, the girls bring in or bake treats and arrange for beverage service at Catalina performances. Each year, several children in underdeveloped countries benefit, receiving much needed cleft palate surgery and aftercare.
Summary of Events
- 2016. 10.04 Volley ball game snack shack: Members held a snack shack during our biggest volleyball game against Carmel High and raised almost $200.
- 2016. 10.21~23 & 29 Cataina Fall Musical--The Mystery of Edwin Drood: Members baked and held bake sales, with the support of Bon Apetit, during the intermissions and at the end of each performance. We raised more than $500.
- 2017.01.13~15 & 21 Catalina Winter Play-- You Can't Take It With You: Members baked and held bake sales, with the support of Bon Apetit, during the intermissions and at the end of each performance. We raised more almost $250.
- 2017.03.17 BREAL Show: Members baked and held bake sales during the intermission and at the end of the show. We raised more almost $50.
- 2017.03.25 Catalina Senior Play-- Glass Menagerie: Members baked and held a bake sale, with the support of Bon Apetit, during the intermission and at the end of the show. We raised more almost $50.
- To be taken place on 2017.04.21~23 & 28 Catalina Spring Musical-- The Pajama Game: Members will bake and hold bake sales, with the support of Bon Apetit, during the intermissions and at the end of each performance.
Club Member Reiviews
"Smile Train has been one of the most amazing clubs I have had the opportunity to be a part of. Starting freshman year when I first joined I knew that this club had a mission that I truly believed in and wanted to help work for. The Leaders are great people and the faculty advisor is always there to help, it is great to see such hardworking girls passionate about what they are working for." -- Bella Sainz
"Smile Train has expanded and improved a lot this year by both doing more events and selling more varieties of food. Helping with selling at some of the events has been a very pleasant experience!" -- Coco Chai