"It is one of the most fun events of the year. We have a great turnout and it is just great to have everybody back." - Head Coach Brenden Huber
ST. PETER, Minn. – The Gustavus cross country program hosted its annual Alumni Meet on Saturday at the Linneaus Arboretum with 26 women competing and 44 men. The current Gusties defeated the “Rusty Gustie” alumni by marks of 28-31 for the men and 24-37 for the women.
The men's and women's cross country teams return to action on Saturday, Sept. 16 at the St. Olaf Invitational.
AT MARTIN LUTHER
- Gustavus defeated Martin Luther College in New Ulm, Minn. 2-1 on Wednesday, Sept. 6, improving its record to 3-0.
- Arthur Parens (Jr., Wayzata, Minn.) and Cody Billins (So., Farmington, Minn.) scored the Gustie goals.
HOME OPENING WEEKEND
- The Gusties hosted Luther College and Wartburg College Saturday and Sunday, falling 2-1 and 4-1.
- Arthur Parens proved to be an offensive leader, scoring the lone Gustie goals in each game.
“There is lots of potential shown by the lads. A good weekend in terms of learning by the team, but not the results we wanted. We’ll take a look at where we are at, and now look forward to the conference play.” - Head Coach Mike Middleton
WISCONSIN ROAD TRIP
- The Gusties traveled to Appleton and La Crosse, Wis. over the weekend, coming away with a 6-0 win over Lawrence University on Saturday and a 0-0 draw at Wisconsin-La Crosse on Sunday.
- Six different Gusties scored goals versus Lawrence, while all 26 players saw time on the pitch, outshooting the Vikings 34-2.
- Gustavus battled back and forth with UW-La Crosse and ended in a 0-0 draw after two overtime periods. The tie moved the Gusties' record to 2-1-1 overall.
"We are looking forward to building on this performance into conference play.” - Head Coach Laura Burnett-Kurie
Gustavus begins conference play at 4 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 12 at Carleton College.
LATE PUSH CUT SHORT AT UW-RIVER FALLS
- Despite recording the most passing yards in a game since 2015 with 334, the Gusties were only able to come away with one touchdown and two field goals.
- Down 14-3 at halftime, the Gustavus defense led an effort to make a comeback, forcing a fumble and an interception. However, it wasn't enough as the Falcons defeated the Gusties 20-12.
- Quarterback Michael Veldman (Jr., Becker, Minn.) completed 29 passes on 47 attempts, totaling a career-best 334 passing yards.
- Josh Kirk (So., Garvin, Minn.) led the receiving core with the sole touchdown and a career-high six receptions for 114 yards.
- Matt Berkner (Jr., Sleepy Eye, Minn.), Casey Decker (Sr., Mapleton, Minn.), and Dutch Claybaugh (Jr., Kaneohe, Hawaii) combined to lead the defense, tallying eight tackles each.
Now 1-1 overall on the season, the Gusties are set to head into conference play. Gustavus will head to Minneapolis, Minn. on Saturday, Sept. 16 to take on Augsburg University at 1 p.m.
GUSTIES COMPETE AT STEVENS POINT TOURNEY
- Gustavus went 3-1 at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point Tournament over the weekend, suffering its first loss of the season against No. 12-ranked Millikin University.
- The Gusties defeated Lakeland College, UW-Stevens Point, and Edgewood College to improve to 7-1 overall on the season.
LUETHMERS EARNS ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
MEN TAKE THIRD AT UW-EAU CLAIRE INVITE
- After sitting in seventh place after the first round of the Frank Wrigglesworth Invite, the Gusties posted the lowest second round team score to jump up four spots and finish third of 16 on Monday afternoon.
- Alec Aunan (Sr., Rock Island, Ill.) finished in a tie for second place after improving upon his first round total of 82 by 15 shots in the second round, carding a career-low 67, which was the best round of the tournament and tied for the seventh lowest round in the storied history of Gustavus men’s golf.
Gustavus next competes in the Saint John’s Invitational Saturday and Sunday.
WOMEN WIN THIRD-STRAIGHT UW-EAU CLAIRE INVITE TITLE
- Morgan Bleyhl (So., Elk River, Minn.) and McKenzie Swenson (Sr., Buffalo, Minn.) tied for medalist honors, each carding a 162 (+18).
- Bleyhl shot 81 both days, while Swenson shot an 82 Sunday and an 80 on Monday.
The Gusties next compete at the NCAA Preview Sunday and Monday at Howey-in-the-Hills, Fla.