Isaac Newton's Ideas
Isaac Newton was the founder of the Laws of Gravity. He discovered gravity after analyzing how an apple had fallen off of an apple tree.
He noticed three things that happened...
1. He noticed that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion until an unbalanced force moves/stops it.
2. He noticed that the effect of the apple falling from the tree was caused by an unbalanced force (which could have been himself at the time). He also found that Force was mass multiplied by acceleration.
3. Lastly, he noticed that the object in motion was affected by the unbalanced force with an opposite reaction (every action comes with an equal opposite reaction).
These observations are now called "Netwon's Laws of Motion"
Impact on Society
Discovering Gravity had impacted the world in ways such as.....
- Finding out that the earth was not flat but in fact it was round and that gravity was the force holding everything in it together. Newton also believed that gravity was the force that kept the planets' orbit and positioning. He believed that God set up the positioning of the planets and that gravity was the force created by God that helped them stay in their positions.
- Another way it had impacted society was by giving people a full explanation of why they don't float or why, when they drop objects with different masses, the objects make it straight to the ground at different times depending on the amount of force put to them.
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean" - Isaac Newton
This quote summarizes how humans still have many new things to discover and how humans only know very little. It compares the amount of knowledge we have and the amount of knowledge we don't have. In this quote, it shows how little we know by comparing it to a drop and how much we don't know by comparing it with the entire ocean.