what is a hedgehog?
A hedgehog is any of the spiny mammals of the subfamily Erinaceinae, in the eulipotyphlan family Erinaceidae.
The hedgehog was named because of its peculiar foraging methods.hedgehogs share distant ancestry with shrews ,with gymnures possibly being the intermediate link, and have changed little over the last 15 million years.however,hey have adapted to a nocturnal way of life.
Groupings and characteristics
Hedgehogs are easily recognized by their spines, which are hollow hairs made stiff with keratin.Their spines are not poisonous or barbed and unlike the quills of a porcupine, do not easily detach from their bodies. However, the immature animal's spines normally fall out as they are replaced with adult spines. they have small feet,a small nose and a soft belly.
Hedgehogs are a group of insectivores that includes seventeen species.
- Four-toed hedgehog, Atelerix albiventris
- North African hedgehog, Atelerix algirus
- Southern African hedgehog, Atelerix frontalis
- Somali hedgehog, Atelerix sclateri
- Amur hedgehog, Erinaceus amurensis
- Southern white-breasted hedgehog, Erinaceus concolor
- European hedgehog, Erinaceus europaeus
- Northern white-breasted hedgehog, Erinaceus roumanicus
- Long-eared hedgehog, Hemiechinus auritus
- Indian long-eared hedgehog, Hemiechinus collaris
- Daurian hedgehog, Mesechinus dauuricus
- Hugh's hedgehog, Mesechinus hughi
- Desert hedgehog, Paraechinus aethiopicus
- Brandt's hedgehog, Paraechinus hypomelas
- Indian hedgehog, Paraechinus micropus
- Bare-bellied hedgehog, Paraechinus nudiventris
Housing and equipment
Your hedgehog requires a clean, dry, hospitable home to stay happy and healthy. Do not place your pet's home in direct sunlight,or in s drafty area.Bedding material should be non-toxic, low-dust, absorbent, several inches deep.Being shy creatures, one of the most important things you can do for your pet hedgehog is to provide her with a place to feel secure.