The Bulls eased into the last 16 of the League Cup with a comfortable win against Rossington Main. A brace from Ollie Fearon and an unfortunate own goal from Tom Harte did the damage.

AFC Mansfield were without captain Chris Timons, Gary Bradshaw and Jimmy Ghaichem with both Jon D’Laryea and Jason White rested on the bench. A start for Brad Wilson, back after injury and ex Premier Division player Bryan Hughes, who made his 4th appearance for The Bulls.

The Bulls started brightly playing mostly in the home sides half but the final ball was lacking in quality. The first chance of the game fell to Jake Vernon who slipped his marker and fired in a low drive that Myles Wright got down well to.

Another chance for Rossington on 20 minutes a curling free kick that was always clearing the bar.

The Bulls continued to pressurise the home goal, 2 Bryan Hughes corners in quick succession were dealt with by the home side. But from the 2nd goal kick possession was given away and a Danny Patterson through ball found Ollie Fearon who fired past the advancing Simon Dye to open the scoring on 23 minutes.

Rossington gave away possession from the kick off and Fearon again raced clear but this time Dye got a hand to his shot to deny the striker.

On the half hour mark Jason Stokes fired well wide from just outside the box and then Ryan Williams went inches wide as the game went end to end.

Fearon went close again on 40 minutes when Lynton Karkach had won the ball and set up the striker to fire over the bar. Dye denied Fearon just before the break after good work from Patterson and Hughes.

Rossington started the better of the two sides in the 2nd half and Myles Wright got down well to deny Jack Johnson’s low driven effort.

The Bulls weathered the mini storm and doubled their lead on the hour mark. Fearon racing into the box before leaving Dye no chance with a vicious drive.

Ollie Fearon gets his 2nd

Good work from Jake Nicholson down the left, his driven cross turned around the post for a corner.

Under no pressure, Tom Harte tried to guide the ball back to Dye but only succeeded into wrong footing the keeper and the ball rolled into the net to complete the scoring.

Substitute Shaun Pendleton went inches wide with a long-range effort and then Nicholson raced clear but Dye did well to turn his stinging drive over the bar.

AFC Mansfield now look forward to the tough trip to Hemsworth MW on Saturday to complete their 8 game away run.

AFC Mansfield: Wright, Wilson, Dudley (Madin 65), Allott, Austin, Hughes, Williams (Nicholson 63), Patterson, Fearon, Karkach, Plummer (D’Laryea 68). Subs not used: Annable & White.

Referee: Joe Goodwin (Leeds)

Assistants: Steven Lennon (Sunderland) & Ronan Coller-Booth (Leeds)

Att: 69

MoM: Ollie Fearon

MoM - Ollie Fearon

Made with Adobe Slate

Make your words and images move.

Get Slate

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.