Urban Vision Christmas Store - 12.13 & 12.16
- December 13 - Setup (All Ages) - NO GROUPS, instead we will be taking all groups to serve that evening from 6:30p-8p. (Leaving Church @ 6p & returning @ 8:30p)
- December 16 - Christmas Store (Over 16), We will be serving as shopper guides & cashiers, 6:30am - 12:30pm. (I’m not promoting this, but will probably grab lunch & go see Star Wars after)
Groups Christmas Party - 12.20
- 6:15p - 6:45p - Eat/Hangout - Everyone will be asked to bring a drink & desert
- 6:45p - 7:20p - 2 - 3 Christmas Games - Could a few of you help & head this up? If not, we won’t do it.
- 7:20p - 7:30p - Worship/Christmas Songs - I’m gonna see if Ben can lead us
- 7:30p - 8:00p - Split into Groups - Maybe do a gift exchange, secret santa, white elephant, play video games... (You have the freedom to do whatever. However, please DO NOT do a normal group time. Just do something different.)
Future Potential Events
- Winter Overnighter - Saturday, January 13, 2018 - Per many students' request. Please let me know if you plan to be there, I’d like to begin planning & promoting by December 1st. This is a great opportunity to have time w/ your students.
- Evangelism Training - Saturday, February 10, 2018 - I believe this is a huge need...not just for students. (Maybe something fun in the evening)
- Service Opportunity - February (Details TBD), Open for suggestions
- United Retreat 2018 - March 2-4, 2018, this would be with 3 other youth groups (Friendship Alliance, Hope Alliance, & Faith Alliance)
- Renew The City - April (Details TBD, Maybe something fun in the evening as well)
On October 25th, we're going to have a 'GROUPS MOVIE NIGHT'. Obviously, this is the Wednesday in between Judgement House Production weekends. I want to give everyone a week off from preparing & leading lessons. Again, it's a week off leading a lesson, NOT A WEEK OFF. I want to stress that simply being present is the most important part of our ministry. So please don't use this as an excuse to not be there.
LEADER'S BRAINSTORMING MEETING
I'd like to hold a leaders meeting on Tuesday, November 14th @ 6:30pm. This meeting will be a brainstorming meeting. This is not mandatory, however it will be your opportunity to share your thoughts & ideas as we plan for the future. The 2 main topics that we will hit on are below...
- PART 1: THE 'IDEAL' RETREAT FOR HSM
- PART 2: NEXT STEP(S) FOR HSM GROUPS
- MISSIONS WEEK - Next Wednesday, September 27th, one of the missionary couples will be joining us for our regularly scheduled group time @ 7:15p. The plan is to split up the guys & girls. The wife will be speaking to girls in the youth room & the husband will be speaking to guys in the old junior high room.
- 2017 FALL SNACKS & GAMES SCHEDULE - Click Here
Beginning on Sunday, October 15th, I'm planning to simplify the format for our HSM Worship Service for a season.
- Seating - We're going to couches & chairs, instead of tables.
- Simplified Service Format - Welcome & Announcements - 2 Songs - Prayer Focus - 1 Song - Message (No Post Message Table Time or Prayer)
Again, this will NOT be a permanent change. But it's a much needed change. It will probably only be through a series or 2. The reason I'm even communicating this to you guys is because I don't want there to be this misconception that "leaders" aren't needed during this period simply because we aren't doing things around tables. To be completely honest with you, your biggest witness on a Sunday morning is primarily about your presence rather than anything else. It's all about showing up & worshipping with the students. IT'S THE POWER OF PRESENCE!
Now my major question for each of you is are any of you desiring to teach and/or willing to lead our prayer focus time? Please throw me a text, call, or email me if interested.
THE 2017-2018 GROUPS SEASON KICKS OFF TOMORROW! ONE OF THE THINGS WE'RE ASKING EACH GROUP TO DO THIS YEAR IS HELP OUT WITH LEADING GAMES/ACTIVITIES. IT'S A LOT FOR SANDY & MICHELLE TO PLAN & EXECUTE EVERY WEEK. SO WE ARE ASKING FOR EACH GROUP HELPS CARRY THAT RESPONSIBILITY THIS YEAR. THE SCHEDULE IS LOCATED ON THE 'WEEK 1' FORM, WHICH CAN BE DOWNLOADED BELOW.
RUNDOWN OF WEEK 1 (TOMORROW EVENING).
- 6:15 - 7:10 - HANGOUT (PICNIC GAMES, BONFIRE, ROAST S'MORES & HOTDOGS, ETC.)
- 7:15 - 7:30 - ORIENTATION/OVERVIEW/EXPECTATIONS OF GROUPS
- 7:35 - 8:00 - BREAK INTO GROUPS FOR DISCUSSION & PRAYER
PLEASE DOWNLOAD 'WEEK 1' GROUPS INFORMATION BELOW
Leader's Meeting Recap/Attachments
*Below is a list of some of the upcoming events / connection point opportunities for our team. For the most part, I haven't asked much from our team this summer due to giving everyone a much needed and deserved break. However, I want to strongly encourage you to be present for as many HSM Events as you possibly can. The main reason we do events are to give our leaders the opportunity to connect and build relationships with our students. ***PLEASE READ BELOW & CONTACT ME VIA TEXT (PERSONALLY, NOT THROUGH THE GROUP TEXT) AS TO WHICH EVENTS YOU ARE ABLE TO BE PRESENT & ASSIST WITH IN ANYWAY.
- Summer Movie Night/Hangout - This Sunday, July 23rd @ 6:30pm, Movie: SING - Runtime: 108 minutes (Should end by 10:15pm)
- One Day Mission Trip @ Camp Urban Vision - Thursday, July 27th
- Youth Sunday - Next Sunday, July 30th
- Pancake Fundraiser - Sunday, August 6th - 8:15a-11a *We are asking for students to sign up to serve in the youth room.
- Summer Movie Night/Hangout - Sunday, August 6th, Movie: Boss Baby w/ Baby Pool Kickball.
- One Day Mission Trip - Saturday, August 12th *Urban Vision’s Back to School Store. ***We are also collecting items for the store. - ITEMS: Green Pens, Mechanical Pencils, Book Bags, & Index Cards.
- HSM Worship - New Season Kickoff - August 13th *Welcoming the New 7th Graders.
I would like to hold a leader's meeting on August 16th, 2017 in the Student Ministry Room @ 6:15pm. Chipotle will be provided. We will be discussing the following:
- HSM Worship, HSM Groups, Fall Events
- Future Team Meetings/Gatherings
- HSM Groups/Table Time Training: How to ask better questions & Starting with Easy Wins
- Social Media Use
*PLEASE RESPOND BELOW
2017-2018 HSM GROUPS CURRENT ROSTER
- Junior High Girls - Sandy
- Underclassmen Girls - Nikki, Melissa, Kristie
- Upperclassmen Girls - Valerie
- Junior High Guys - Mike
- Underclassmen Guys
- Upperclassmen Guys
*Am I missing anyone else? This is based on the responses I’ve received from the survey I sent out back in May. Please let me know if whether you are or aren’t returning. I really need to know ASAP.
SUNDAY WORSHIP // TIME CHANGE:
As most of you know, we're going to be changing our service times on Sunday morning...
- 1st Service will now begin at 9:00a. (HSM Worship will still be during 1st service)
- 2nd Service will begin at 10:30a.
HSM WORSHIP SUMMER SCHEDULE // SUMMER STUDY
In June & July, we will be changing up the HSM Worship Service a bit & do more of a Bible Study versus our normal format. We will be doing the book of Jonah from June 4th - July 23rd. We will watch a short 7-10 minute video on each lesson & then do a guided discussion facilitated from the stage. Students will have their discussions at the tables like normal.
Please take a look at the summer calendar & respond below as to which events you are planning to attend. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Click Here to view Calendar
HSM Groups Quick Survey
FUTURE MEETINGS & GIFTS
I do feel the need to apologize to you for not meeting much as a group this past semester. Things have been so crazy this past year (baby, my health, a million other meetings, etc.). I also wanted to make you aware, that I'm currently working on appreciation gifts for you guys (since we didn't have a volunteer appreciation gathering). Please know that this ministry exists, thrives, & grows because of your willingness to love students where they are and point them directly to Jesus. I don't know what I would do without each of you.
2017 SUMMER CALENDAR
2017 SUMMER HSM EVENTS
UNITED RETREAT VIDEO
SUNDAY SERVICE TIME CHANGE MEETING/SURVEY
This Sunday, April 2nd, after both services, in the Multi-purpose room, we will have our 1st discussion about changing service times. This will be with key leaders & ministry volunteers that serve on Sunday Mornings. We would love for you to be a part of the discussion & fill out a survey.
Current Retreat List
- Melanie Baker
- Ellie Begg
- Sarabeth Begg
- Brandon Bennici
- Sommer Bourne
- Courtney Bragg
- Faith Carlson
- Daniel Carlson
- ALEX DECKER
- Kristen Dillard
- Nathan Harkleroad
- Olivia Harter
- Jordan Johnson
- David Johnson
- Madison Jurisch
- Alyssa Kleinhen
- Seth Mobley
- Jack Nikrasch
- Haley Roble
- Benny Shaffer
- Kate Smith-Campbell
- Jessica Smith-Campbell
- Zachary Stopka
- Jia Svacha
- Tyler Takacs
- Eric Takacs
- Alexandria Turnick
- Nicholas Vilt
- Dominic Weaver
- MEETING - Obviously due to the power outage last night we were unable to meet to discuss retreat details. I'd like to reschedule that for next Wednesday, March 15th, after groups in the youth room.
- INTERVIEWS - The theme for the retreat is 'Pause'. It's going to lean very heavy in the direction of worship, praise, mediation & devotion. It will specifically center around 5 Psalms (See Graphic Below). With that being said, we'd like to do some leader interviews. The plan is to have each leader give a short (no more than 10-15 sec) statement of how each of these Psalms speaks to them. These will be used as sermon bumpers before each message. I would like to the record the interviews next Sunday, March 19th, immediately following 2nd Service. I'm not expecting everyone to do it. However, if you're willing & able...I'd love to use you!
Winter Jam - March 12
Current Student Count = 11
If you haven't already, please notify me if you planning to attend Winter Jam!
Current List of Confirmed Leaders:
- Michelle & Rich Grenig (5 Car spots)
- Mike Harris (4 Car spots)
- Nikki Jablonski
- Summer & Dave (3 Car spots)
- Laura Shaffer (3 Car spots)
- Valerie Baker (? Car spots)
- Kristie Stradman (6 Car spots)
United Retreat - March 24-26 @ Camp Carl
Current Student Count = 20
If you haven't already, please notify me if you planning to attend Retreat!
Current List of Confirmed Leaders:
- Mike Harris
- Sandy Horvath
- Summer & Dave Smith
- Valerie Baker
- Michelle Grenig
If you are planning to attend the retreat, I would like to hold a meeting next Wednesday (March 8th) following Groups. You'll find that there aren't many responsibilities needed for this particular retreat. This will merely be a chance to convey important info & give you a opportunity to ask any questions you might have. However, once we have official numbers, I will need some help putting together the room assignments. Food is covered for the weekend (including Friday Night). As of right now, the only responsibilities we have as a team is to: 1) continue to encourage students to sign-up, 2) prepare ourselves personally for the retreat, & 3) provide transportation.
I just want to thank you all for the amazing work you did helping with Youth Sunday! We couldn't have done it without you! Also, you guys did such a great job with the videos!
Leader Training - Special Needs Students
We will have a short training this coming Sunday, February 12th, immediately following 1st service. The training will cover our policies & procedures at Hope when dealing with our special needs students. *If you are unable to attend, please let me know.
Here is a list again of everything coming up. If you haven't already informed me, please let me know ASAP as to which events you are planning to attend (& if you are able to drive if needed).
- Burgers & Bowling - February 19 (NOT PROVIDING TRANSPORTATION)
- Winter Jam - March 12 (PROVIDING TRANSPORTATION)
- Spring Retreat - March 24-26 (PROVIDING TRANSPORTATION)
As some of you know, yesterday we talked about the topic of dating with the students. I wanted to encourage you to extend the conversation in your groups (even if it's a couple of minutes). Here are the scriptures that I referenced if you'd like to use them in your discussions:
- I Corinthians 6:9-7:19 - Commands us to be pure & talks about the seriousness of sexual sin & instructions regarding marriage.
- I Thessalonians 4:1-8 - Don’t wrong or defraud one another in relationships.
- Song of Solomon 2:7 - We shouldn't "awaken love until the time is right"; before the proper time...meaning marriage.
- Proverbs 6:20-7:27 - Warning to avoid sexual sin & stupid relationships that will bring you down, make you compromise values.
- James 1:13-15 - Temptation has to be taken very seriously.
- Romans 13:8-14 - Love others, work for the good of their souls; don't look to please self.
- Romans 14:1-15:7 -Favor others, not self ... value what's good to their souls.
- I Timothy 5:1-2 - Treat each other as brothers & sisters in Christ, with absolute purity.
- Titus 2:1-8 - We should focus on self-control & Godliness.
- John 14:15 - If you love Christ, you will obey His commands - above your own desires & live a life according to the Bible.
Please feel free to use any of these resources to enhance your Groups:
Special Needs Students
Last night, I had a long discussion with leadership & was enlightened on much pertaining to our policies & procedures at Hope when it comes to dealing with students that have special needs.
With that being said, I've learned that we as leaders are compelled to have some tools & training to help better equip us as we walk along side the families in need of assistance.
Kathy Weaver would like to hold a short training for us Next Wednesday, January 25th, immediately following Groups in the youth room.
Youth Sunday is next Sunday, January 29th. Below are the areas of service we currently need students to be plugged in. The plan would be to have our adult leaders overseeing & running point in the areas below:
- Greeters - Greeting people @ the main & side doors of the building.
- Hospitality - Walking around in the commons area (the lobby) assisting with greeting & directing people.
- Ushers - Greeting & directing people at the auditorium doors, handing out bulletins & assisting with the offering.
- Cafe - Assisting in anyway we possibly can.
PLEASE MAKE OUR EVENTS PRIORITY. These are important to our students! They are designed to give you consistent connection points to have organic conversations that help us better with furthering our mission in the HSM of "PURSUING STUDENTS RIGHT WHERE THEY ARE & POINTING THEM TO JESUS".
- Bowling - February (TBD). We will meet @ location & NOT provide transportation for this particular event.
- Winter Jam - Sunday, Mar 12. Spots for students will determined by how many leaders can attend & transport.
- Spring Retreat @ Camp Carl - Mar 24-26
*PLEASE NOTIFY ME OF THE EVENTS YOU'RE ABLE TO ATTEND & SERVE.
Coach, challenge & encourage a specific student to share the gospel this month with a lost friend.