Dear Moody College Families,
Please join us! Your student is here, and we want you too. Founded in 2017, the Moody College Family Network is a membership organization that provides families of Moody College students with access to premier college events, enhanced communication on college programs and initiatives, and a platform for mentoring and parent-to-parent networking. It is an invitation to engage in your student’s higher education and to know Moody College of Communication and the resources available to your student.
Our members are invited to gather each semester to network and socialize with college leadership and each other. We learn about communications industry trends and Moody College strategic priorities, and we engage to support them. Through member financial support we are able to give student scholarships through our Endowed Excellence Fund, to award grants to fund undergraduate experience enrichment initiatives that vary by year and department, and to respond to acute needs through the Moody Student Emergency Fund.
Thank you for your investment in the Moody College of Communication. We join to represent our student, but we connect and develop so that we may serve as a Moody College Family Network to support and celebrate all Moody students!
Gifts to the Family Network
As of April 5th, 2021, our families have committed $413,486 in gifts toward the Family Network since the inception of the program in Fall 2017. From this, we were able to fully endow the Moody College Family Network Endowed Excellence Fund, which will exist at the college in perpetuity. Our first Family Network Scholar was awarded in 2020 and we will be able to add more recipients as the fund prospers.
In the spring of 2020, we invested $40,000 in our Moody Student Emergency Fund to immediately help students in crisis due to COVID-19. The extra discretionary funds held by the Family Network account made this possible, and we look forward to using more from these funds to help Moody College students as future needs arise.
In Spring 2021 the Moody College Family Network funded an innovative and advanced Talent Insights career assessment workshop. This workshop will be offered to 150 Moody College students in 2021-2022.
In spring 2020, $42,500 was split between all five major departments at the Moody College of Communication. CMS 321D: Communication for Development and Philanthropy, a class devoted to allowing students experiential learning in non-profit management, was granted $3,000 to allow the students a tangible budget to have an immersive experience of creating and hosting a fundraising event for a local non-profit.
In 2019 several programs benefited from Family Network funding: The portion of funds to the Writing Support Program allowed for the hiring of new mentors to help students thrive with their written projects. $8,000 allocated to the Communication Council Study Abroad Excellence Fund helped get this endowment to the funding finish line, establishing it at the college to help students pay for fees related to Study Abroad. Communication Council, the college's governing body for undergraduate student affairs, received funding that allows them to host more community events for their fellow students.
Through your generous support, the Career Center will be able to offer this unique workshop experience to 150 Moody College students in 2021-2022. The benefits of the assessment and workshop are:
- Increased self-esteem and motivation as students discover their strengths and talents.
- Learn vocabulary that allows them to articulate and highlight their unique strengths to employers during interviews for jobs and internships.
- Understand their ideal work environment as they look for internships and jobs post-graduation.
- Understand their behavioral style and strengths and see communication career options that best align with them.
- Discover what motivates them and see which career matches will be most satisfying for them.
- Explore how their results align with communication career options on the Moody World of Work map.
- Gain insight about their communication style and how to relate to others with different styles.
Funds in action:
Each major department at the Moody College of Communication received $8,500 in the spring of 2020 to use toward student experiences.
Funding was used to support programming for students within the college.
Funds supported students attending the Computer Assisted Reporting conference (CAR) where they were able to learn industry best practices in data and coding from journalism professionals.
Funding supported student scholarships to the UT Los Angeles program in order to cover some of the fees associated with working and studying in Los Angeles.
Advertising & Public Relations
Funds allowed multiple students to travel to the 2020 National Student Advertising Competition (NSAC), giving them the incredible opportunity to create an integrated brand communications campaign for a real-world client and an eventual pitch to advertising professionals at the district, semi-final and national levels.
Communication Sciences & Disorders
Funds directly aided undergraduate student travel to the Texas Speech-Language and Hearing Association conference in Houston.
CMS 321D: Communication for Development and Philanthropy
Funding this class provided an immersive and experiential learning opportunity to students who were tasked with creating a fundraising plan and hosting an awareness event for the Lang Stuttering Institute within the Moody College. By having a tangible budget, students learn the necessary skills involved with financial management and planning in non-profit spaces, a key component of work outside the classroom.
Outside the network:
Almost two million dollars in total donations have been made to the Moody College of Communication by our generous families outside of their Family Network annual membership gifts. These funds will have a lasting impact on students for many years to come.
- The Juliet Safro Berkowitz Endowed Excellence Fund for UT New York
- The Chapman Family Endowed Excellence Fund
- The Dieste Scholarship for Innovation and Creativity
- The Sam Paul and Jennifer Lindblom Paul Endowed Excellence Fund in Communication and Leadership
- Reese Family Scholarship in Communication Studies
- The Brian and Catherine Schwartz UT New York/Study Abroad Scholarship
- The Randi and Brian Schwartz Scholarship in support of UTNY/UTLA/Study Abroad
- Lee and Leslie Wood in support of the Radio-Television-Film department
- Susie and Tripp Transou in support of the Moody College Career Center
Fourteen Giving Areas
- Department of Advertising
- Department of Communication and Leadership
- The School of Journalism and Media
- Department of Radio-Television-Film
- The Moody College Career Center
- The Lang Stuttering Institute
- Texas Student Media
- The Moody Writing Support Program
- UT Los Angeles
- UT New York
- Study Abroad
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Fund
- The Dean's Innovation Fund
- The Moody Student Emergency Fund
Moody for Life $25,000 once
Enjoy all the benefits of the Dean’s Council throughout your student's time in Austin, and for many years to come
Dean's Council $5,000 annually
- Annual in-person briefing events with college leadership
- Regular email updates from Family Network staff
- Access to a dedicated Family Network liaison
- Invitations to premier college events
- VIP seating at Moody College Commencement ceremony
- Chair's Council and General Member benefits
Chair's Council $1,000 annually
- Invitations to Family Network receptions and events
- Briefing from Career Advising Services
- Access to exclusive Family Network Facebook group
- General Member benefits
General Membership No cost
- Semi-annual Family Network email newsletter
- Access to the General Members Family Network facebook group